Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
Well I'm finally heading up there in a week to start my 3yr tour up there, pcsing. I will be going to Ft Richardson initially I thought I was going to Wainwright. Anyhow can some please give me the rundown on how the residency works and how long do I have to wait to be considered a resident... Also as a non resident how much is a hunting license and is it to late to get tags for big game. There are two things I want to hunt Moose and Caribou... Thanks

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, to be a considered a resident it takes 12 months. but with your orders you can pick up tags and license for 1/2price of the non-res fee during your first year.

Tags for moose and bou are over the counter, but since you would be considered non-res, some areas you cant hunt (watch the regs). no biggie, its a big state.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Thanks! For the info..

John

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Got some good news for you.....since your active military you can buy a resident hunting license instead of the non-resident. You can hunt moose, caribou, black bear and wolf as a resident but have to hire a guide to hunt grizz/brown, sheep and goat. This was just recently passed legislation and takes affect 1 Jan 2009.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats some good info to know.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Be glad your going to Rich instead of Wainwright with the "Strikers" they'r always gone and deployed to the sand box...they always seem to be gone over the fall.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Yeah the BDE i'm going to is supposed to be leaving in March?? Oh well deployments are part of the Army anymore... Don't mind them I guess the only hard part is leaving the family for a year.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
John,
Are you bringing your 323 Hollis to Alaska?

Regards,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
thinking about it don't know how big of a pain the cuatom boys are going to be. I might just hve my dad ship them it to me my 323 and 358 norma mag...

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
323, Canadian customs are not bad at all about bringing Rifles thru, just have the paperwork and pay the $25 now, used to be $50 for the whole year. When I got stationed at Eielson, it was no problem, now every year I commute from WY to AK for sheep/ moose hunting and Its not hard at all....Chuck

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote