New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giant Yukon Moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a photo of a really big bull moose shot recently in the Yukon. The photo was in an e-mail message and I can't post it here. The only information about it was it had a 92 inch spread. At first I didn't believe it (maybe I still don't?). I have handled an 80 inch bull and in 40+ years of messing with moose I've never heard of one much bigger, especially one with considerable mass to boot.

The Yukon bull has not only a big spread but very wide and long palms to boot.

I'm assuming the photo is real (not a Photoshop creation). If anyone has any details on this bull I'd sure like to hear about them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a fellow who just shot a 72 in bull. Score was 246. Not sure if that's gross or net, not that it matters.
He resides in Whitehorse. Not sure if it's the same bull or not.
He sent me an email with photo of antlers.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post the photo here?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will if I can figure out how.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a 62 incher shot by some Kansas guy on the Kandic, hunting with his buddy from Anch, they come up every season. Not many bulls taken with how warm it's been. I've heard of 4-5 and they were all small. I'm going down river on Sunday, I'll be happy enough with a small once actually, just fresh meat in the end.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
A work associate shared pics of a 70.5" bull he just took.

There's also a 75" W beauty posted over on AOF:

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...t-my-big-moose/page2

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Fox
posted Hide Post
I think I know who the guy from Kansas is that got the 62" on the Kandic. It is his first time to Ak, and I'm sure he is going to have stories to tell. I called his wife yesterday to let her know he was successful.

Posts: 39 | Location: Council Grove, KS | Registered: 02 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of huntingineurope
posted Hide Post
92" from the Yukon River.

SCI Life Member
www.allanvester.dk

Posts: 111 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 02 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting the photo for me! If anyone knows the details and background of this moose I'd sure like to know, especially if the antler spread is known.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is no moose, that is an Irish Elk....
Wow!

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Absolute giant bull. Really hard to tell how long that one tine hangs out there. If I had to guess, I'd put him in the low 70s

Dream bull for sure regardless of width.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
well that one there makes the big ones look little

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is an incredible animal......s'pose the packing was just as fun as the stalking and taking the shot. ha

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I scaled it off using two different criteria, the first assumes the objective lens on the scope is 42mm, the second assumes 10" width for the head at the eyes. I got mid sixty inch measurements with both methods, although it looks a lot bigger than that to me.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I'm being generous by putting it around 70" or so. The ears usually lay out between 28 and 30",he does have some points laying out there.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, I've got it at 69-70"...

The internet is a wonderful thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very old picture and camera perspective on a 65" plus moose

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'll give it an honest +70", but I'm not buying 92" for an instant. Nice bull regardless!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
I think the picture is referencing 92 as in 1992

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote