New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easy Alaskan hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to fish and hunt Alaska, been thinking about it for years. Maybe combine a salmon run with some black bear hunting or deer hunting. What is the best way to go about it?

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never personally been on an easy Alaskan hunt. You might want to ask what hunt has the highest success rates or least amount of travel involved.

From my perspective, when the Mulchatna herd was at its peak that was about the "easiest" hunt I was on in Alaska. Success rates were extremely high and we had just one extra flight from Anchorage.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
I would like to fish and hunt Alaska, been thinking about it for years. Maybe combine a salmon run with some black bear hunting or deer hunting. What is the best way to go about it?

A P.W.S. boat based black bear/ fishing / hunt is as easy as it will ever get!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you mean by easy. The easiest in AK are probably black bear on a bait station or a late season deer hunt from a boat.

I just finished a brown bear hunt were we took the first bear a little over 100 yards from our tents at 8:30 opening morning and before we finished skinning that one two more walked withen a few yards of us. That is the exception for brown bears.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Prince Of Wales Island black bear / fishing trip. Easy DIY hunt with huge success. 4 of us took 3 bears & caught fish and trapped crabs. Two of the bears were B&C size. Rent a cabin, cook for yourself & enjoy a great place.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Alaska Coastal Marine - Spring Black Bear / Halibut in PWS. Great outfit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess easy wasn't the right word. I mostly meant an enjoyable trip with lots happening. I like the do it yourself hunting and lived in Wyoming most of my life so cold isn't that big of a problem.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
SE or PWS spring black bear/fishing combo. A fun and (potentially) relatively easier hunt.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about salmon, reindeer and seal for a combo ?

Posts: 51 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With Quote