THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Spring 2013 Grizzly Bear Hunt, Load Needed

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring 2013 Grizzly Bear Hunt, Load Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents, I just booked an extended length Grizzly Bear hunt for May.

I would rather not carry the .340 Wthby that I used for BB, since it should have come with wheels on it. I am instead going to take the light weight Custom job that I use for all else. I only have a 180 grain Nosler load for that and would prefer to use 200 Gr. Nosler .300 W.M., since the shots may go long in this area.

Could someone post their pet load, for the above caliber and bullet ?

Thanks in advance.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
67.5 of 4831 was the load I used for 20yrs. That's with a 200 NP. 66 with the 220 NP.

I know it's not very hi-tech,but neither am I!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am no expert on the caliber but the suggested load raises a few issues in my mind. No offense meant - just being careful ... Be safe and have a great trip.

The point I want to focus on is that for a 10% increase in bullet weight, one would expect to drop powder charge by 10%. The above load is only 2.2% less powder for a 10% heavier bullet.

The thumb rule often sited by John Barsness and others on Handloader is as follows -

Increase of powder charge X% = half the increase % in velocity (x/2) & double the % increase in pressure (X times 2)- but the curve is not a straight line. So velocity gain drops and pressure increases as you head to max or above max loads.

Same thumb rule for bullet weight - % increase in bullet weight = % increase in pressure or more & therefore % drop in powder charge

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero,

My 300 WM gives 2960 fps with the 200 NP and 80gr H-1000 from a 24" barrel with excellent accuracy. If your hunting an Interior grizzly that load should be plenty.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originaly posted by Nakihunter

quote:
The point I want to focus on is that for a 10% increase in bullet weight, one would expect to drop powder charge by 10%. The above load is only 2.2% less powder for a 10% heavier bullet

The concern is apprecitiated thats why we are all here after all.
In this instance your above rule wont really apply because the 67.5 gr. load is not hot at all. I'm guessing it is a accuracy load that Waterrat is posting here not intended as top end.
My load for the 200 gr. is 75 gr. IMR 4831 with a speer 200 gr hotcore. Amoungst all my reloading lititure one of my favorites is the speer #8. Top loads listed there is 79gr 4831 with 200 gr. bullet.

Cold Zero
I know where your coming from wanting to shift to the 200 gr from 180. Of my two .300 WM one is a long range rifle and I shoot 180 Balistic tips in it. The other is mostly dedicated as my Kodiak island deer rifle. I wanted something able to get me out of a bear situation if the need arise. (and I've had a few attention getting moments while deer hunting)
Yes the 200 gr. dose give the best performence in the .300 but for interior Grizz I would'nt bother with all the hassel switching. Like Nakihunter said it's only 10%.
My expiriance has shown me that most first time Brown bear hunters are quite impreessed at how hard it can be to put down a big coastal bear. After you're having those expireances (which I belive I recall from previous postings) I think in this case you will be surprised how much easier a inteior grizz will go down.
Of course if you just want an excuse to get in a little range time go for it (it you're time and money). I would just go the easy way and stick with the 180's.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKShooter, you are correct. I did take a large BB and wish I had the computer skill to post the kill shots on You Tube. It would get a lot of hits.

I am going to take my time Southwest of Fairbanks and try to find an 8' or larger bear. I like to pound them with authority and not have them run off at all.

The current load that I have been using for over 14 years that was developed for the rifle by the guy who built it is 68 Gr. AA 4350 with a 180 NP. I think this is an accuracy load that is anemic and I may be better off with something more stout in the 3000 FPS 200 Gr. NP ? I will shoot long range, if need be since the target is so large. A slightly bigger bullet may be in order here ?

Anyone else have any thought son 180 Gr. v. 200 Gr NP for Grizzly bear ?

I appreciate the comment about the Grizzly being much easier to kill than the BB, the BB can be like Kraut tanks when it comes to absorbing punishment. Especially, if the bears are over 10'. I take ti that the Grizzly equivelent of the Brwn Bear over 10', would be an 8' Grizz ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know some guys using even 270 win with 150 nosler partition, some others use the famous 30-06 with 180 nosler partition ... so i doubt the 180 or 200 grains will make the difference.

i like the 220 grains myself for the 30-06 but that just me ....

Posts: 1794 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load suggested by Nosler as max for their 200gr Partition or AB using RL-22 is 72.5grs at 2960 fps from a 24" barrel.

The load that I put together for my young friend and associate for bear this year was 73grs (as max) of RL-22 in a 24" Savage leaving at 2970 fps. That is from the 200 AB.

The same basic load in my former 26" Browning gave slightly over 3000 fps from the 200gr Speer. I use WLRM primers and WW brass.

In my last 300 WM, a 24", I used the 180 NP (WLRM primers and WW brass)and Nosler's max book load (75.5grs RL-22) for the 180 NP. It shot into 1/2" at a tad over 3000 fps.

The 200gr load from RL-22 should shoot from a good barrel into MOA or less.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 848 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler has announced a new series of accubonds aimed at the long range hunting crowd. In the .30 caliber they have a 210 gr bullet scheduled to be sold in March. Might be the perfect bullet for your application. They claim the BC is .730 so it will shoot flat. Best of luck. Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always had good results with 72grains of IMR 7828 power and 200grain swift A-frames or Nosler Part.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 75 gr of RL22 over 180 Barnes TSX bullets for years. I get between 3050-3100 fps depending on the rifle.
I dropped a few grains when loading the 200 grain bullet, but could never achieve 3000 fps with this powder, although close.I settled on the 180 grain as a better choice, and love the Barnes bullets for deep, bone breaking penetration. My second choice would be the Nosler Partition.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gillettehunter:
Nosler has announced a new series of accubonds aimed at the long range hunting crowd. In the .30 caliber they have a 210 gr bullet scheduled to be sold in March. Might be the perfect bullet for your application. They claim the BC is .730 so it will shoot flat. Best of luck. Bruce

This sounds like a winner. 220 Gr. is a bit too heavy for the longer shots, 200 gr. is good, but I like heavy for caliber bullets and if the 210 gr NP really has a BC of .730, that sounds like a winner to me. Now I just need to find someone who handloads who will load them up for me.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
The last time I was moose hunting in AK.we seen a set of tracks on the sand bar that was so large it would of been froma 12 footer when you run into this one you will wish you had your 340 spring 2003 8.5' 330 dakota 225gr swift 2006 9.5' 375hh 300gr swift no such thing as too much wack on big bears Kevin

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote