THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Accubond or Barnes for black bear using a 35 Whelen

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accubond or Barnes for black bear using a 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have enjoyed reading this site for years and used to post years ago.

On to my question. I have an Alaskan bear bear hunt scheduled for 2018. I plan to use my 35 Whelen. I have accurate loads worked up with both 225 grain Nosler Accubond and 200 grain Barnes TTSX bullets.

This will be a spot and stalk hunt. Which bullet should I use?

Thanks

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Whichever one your rifle shoots the best!

With a well placed shot, I really do not know if you would be able to tell the difference between the two. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
How far are you willing to shoot and what are the trajectories of each load?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 200 yard zero the 225 gr AB is +1.9 at 100 and -8.6 at 300 yards.

The TTSX is + 2 at 100 and -9.1 at 300.

I regularly practice from field positions out to 350 yards. The outfitter recommends getting under 150 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO a bonded core or all copper bullet is not necessary for black bear and might (probably will) decrease killing power. I have been having poor terminal performance from AccuBonds when used on elk. I went back to the Hornady InterLocks and have been happy ever since.
Paul B has been happy with the Barnes bullets out of his 35 Whelan when elk hunting.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagle Dad,

Your ACB would be my choice. Black bears are not that heavily built so I don't think the TSX is necessary. The ACB will give you more tissue damage and in theory a quicker kill while still providing the penetration for a bad angle shot if presented.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've used 225 grain Nosler Partitions out of my .350 Remington magnum quite a bit. They work very well. That doesn't really answer your question directly but a bullet that opens fairly quick then drives on through to exit (and breaks something if possible) is in my opinion the way to go.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Whichever one your rifle shoots the best!

With a well placed shot, I really do not know if you would be able to tell the difference between the two. JMO.

This well result in a very dead bear I know it is fun but any decent bullet stuck in the right place well do the job.

Both of these are decent bullets even if one or the other shot 2 inch groups.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I will play with the loads some more. I kind of figured both were more than enough. Figured it was a good idea to double check. I do not have any experience with the Whelen on game. I am enjoying working up loads for it though. It has a little more push than my 30-06 but not much.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I think you will like the .35 Whelen quite a bit. It has quite a bit more thump then a .30 caliber does for not much increase in recoil.

Good luck.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has quite a bit more thump then a .30 caliber

One can argued this depending on the cartridge bullet and velocity.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Accubonds and Xs on brown bear, elk, Shiras moose, and a multitude of large African animals up to croc in my XP 100 handguns and both do very well.
As the others said, accuracy is the deciding factor.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 258 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get the 225 NAB to shoot worth a hoot in my Whelen. I'm going with the 200 TTSX for moose and brown bear this fall. Full case of IMR-3031 and seated to the top of the last driving band/groove (COAL = 3.25")

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Either is more than equal to the task. Black bears aren't bullet proof and they don't weight 6 tons.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'm planned on 225 gr Barnes in my daughter
s 35 Whelen. If they don't group, trying 250 gr Northforks and Norma Oryxs.

I killed my Alaska black bear with 300 gr TSX from a 375 H&H at 200 yards. Punched right through him, didn't even look like they expanded from the exit wound, but boy howdy did those round create impressive shockwaves on that bear - looked like someone dropped a rock in a pond. He squared 7 1/2 feet.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot a black bear with a .243 and 85 grain TSX all day long. Anything 7mm up with a reasonable bullet and you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote