New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goat Hunt on the Alaska Coast
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone on this forum hunted Goats along the coast South of Juneau? We were Bear hunting and fishing last week and saw at least 100 goats. Is this a draw area for tags? I have heard of the late season hunts here but didn't realize there were that many animals there.

Hawkeye47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted them twice just outside of Sitka, AK.
No draw needed.
Lots of goats but need to be in shape b/c when goat season gets here they will be way up top.
And bring some kevlar gloves too. Lots and lots of Devil's Club.
Oh, and the weather sucks!

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ide,

Thanks for the info. Have you hunted them late when the snow drives them down lower? The guide says that's the best hunt.

Hawkeye

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:
Has anyone on this forum hunted Goats along the coast South of Juneau? We were Bear hunting and fishing last week and saw at least 100 goats. Is this a draw area for tags? I have heard of the late season hunts here but didn't realize there were that many animals there.

Hawkeye47

You in Tracy or Endicott Arm? It's registration hunt for pretty much all of Southeast Area 1C

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye,

Both hunts were in Nov. If you're lucky, real lucky, you might find one down low.
I didn't have any such luck. Mine was the usual climb, climb, climb and then wishing I had snow shoes to traverse the deep snow thru the mountain tops.

One of the big problems you might encounter is the amount of rain. The first time I went we got caught between two raging rivers and couldn't cross either. We wound up sleeping in a leanto for several nites before we were able to cross and make it to the main tent.

Don't get me wrong, it was quite the adventure.

Also, taking a Sitka deer shouldn't be any problem. We saw bunches. I kind of laugh when I see what outfitters want to charge for taking one. To me they look like our small hill country deer here. But for serious deer hunters they are suppose to be some sort of subspecies that's highly prized. If that is something you'd want I would suggest negotiating on that hard b/c you should see bunches of them.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ide,

We were in the Wolf creek area and on farther South. Funny but there are not any deer to speak of in that area. I am not locked in to doing the hunt there! I have talked to a chap that hunts on Kodiak and they drop everything that won't break out of a plane so a person doesn't haft to lug the camp up the mountain.
Thanks for the info.

Hawkeye

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:
Ide,

Thanks for the info. Have you hunted them late when the snow drives them down lower? The guide says that's the best hunt.

Hawkeye

I'd be very weiry of this advice. Goats frequently just find the wind blown slope at the top of the mountain and "sit the winter out" on top. I wouldn't count on them coming down...............or at least I'd want some local knowledge confirming this as well as several past clients. Just the same be in excellent shape.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye,

I've been there and done that in November. You can shoot the goats from sea level or just a litte bit above it. That's what makes this hunt so successful at nearly 100%. We hunted Tracy Arm near Juneau and could have shot a goat every day.

Shooting is often at an extreme angle and finding a place that you can get ashore to shoot is often a litte tricky but it is far easier than climbing and doing it boat based is the way to go. Also at that time of year the goat's capes are superbly long and beautiful.

E-mail me if you'd like details.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

The bears were high on the slopes because of the grass not being out on the shore. My friend shot his bear from a small glacier because he couldn't get a shot from the shoreline.

Hawkeye

Picture of Van Hoozer
posted Hide Post
It depends how far south of Juneau. There are tons of goats directly south of Juneau. But it is strictly archery until you cross Taku inlet. From there you have to go to Snettingsham or Tracy arm for firearms. Still plenty of goats though....if you like a 65 degree vertical mile climb. I guess a few goats can be found on the south side of Taku inlet by Dorothy lake but I havent been there much. Problems like a low cloud ceiling can delay a hunt for weeks or for the season. Good luck

Posts: 1 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 29 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
I guide Goats out in the Misty Fjords in the most southern area in SE Alaska ...

Brett's advice "I'd be very weiry of this advice" should be taken very seriously.

Late season Goat hunting is extreme. Very short days. Very bad weather. A very hardcore hunt.

The Goats come down all along the coast in spring for the fresh green. In late fall early winter not so much.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote