Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted
example photo borrowed from:
http://www.frontlinearmory.com/gunsmithing/rem700/rem700gk.htm
 -

---as posted elsewhere---
This is the condensed version of my 'justification' for choosing the gun and components of my .375 H&H bolt-action rifle.
The disclaimer is that it is a firearm that will be agreeable to me and nobody else.
Be sure to read into it a little bit of humor. Some of the comments made are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, said with a smile.
We've seen that in each case, people choose what they perceive to work best for them, and no matter what is suggested by others, the end result is what satisfies the
owner of the gun. So be it.
I've concocted a setup that will suit me for what I'll need out of this gun and am willing to afford for its use.
Admittedly, some of what I've come up with appeals to my aesthetic interest in Black Rifles...
It will be different and perhaps seem nonsensical to some, but I like what I came up with, largely due to the excellent input from various Forums and their Members.
Thanks for your interest and help with this fun project.

The ".375 TACTICAL" Rifle
15 OCT 2003
An agonizing, ongoing project meets its end.

Since the beginning of my interest in rifles, I've longed to have one chambered in the 375 H&H Magnum cartridge. It is the original belted magnum and still generally
considered the world's best all-around hunting cartridge.
My interest in Remington rifles started early and continues to this day, with stops along the way to get thoroughly confused, but still return to the Remington brand.
The following rambling dissertation is yet another attempt at finalizing my .375 H&H choice. Key word - FINALIZE.
As you well know, I've researched this to death, and keep coming back to having and adding to a Remington collection and familiarity with the brand.

One other rifle, the Browning A-Bolt II has been considered heavily. There are a few major factors that have swept that gun aside almost entirely in one day. The fact that
the gun would require refinishing because I prefer a matte black rifle; extra magazines; has a lot of moving parts; reportedly uses some rather cheap potmetal components;
and has in some cases a reputation for failing to fire under inclement weather conditions; all of this has practically made it a non-choice.
The recommendations, even from some of the Mauser/Winchester fans, were to stick with the Remington 700.
There have been recommendations to go with other rifles, stating that the Remington 700 is a flawed design.
I don't see it that way, for the simple reason that the military & police use the 700 extensively, whether modified or not, in tough situations and it works extremely well for
them. This project is going to be a hunting rifle with a couple of 'combat' parts or modifications to it for increased reliability or ability to enhanced the performance in the
field. The design of the 700 is a proven one, and the failures or inadequacies of some components can be addressed as in any other design.
The downplay of the 700 is, I believe, blown way out of proportion, and the truth is that those that denigrate the 700 action will hardly admit that their own choices must, in
some cases, be heavily modified at times to make them work correctly under adverse conditions.
One area of concern mentioned often re the Remington design of the extractor/ejector mechanism is something I haven't figured out as far as changing it, as I've not had a
problem with any of mine.
Modifications to whatever rifle action you choose to suit your needs and be satisified with the results is more important than percieved problems or heresay and blind
prejudice...
This rifle will not be 5-figure full-on custom. It will be assembled from a factory custom shop offering with some unique aftermarket accessories.
Cost of assembly for a rifle in this category, or, in my case, a new catagory, is about even up for any brand or choice of action.

So, today, we've returned to my original idea ( "...as we often do because I'm almost always intuitively correct in my theories and evaluations..." [Wink] [Big Grin] ) which is to build a sort of
hybrid Tactical 700 in .375 H&H.
A tough, reliable and familiar firearm that crosses the threshold of the standard type of hunting gun into hard-ass "tactical/hunting" territory. [Eek!]
This is the Remington 700 Custom Shop Mountain Rifle in carbon-steel with a 3-shot blind magazine and clean bbl.

The Mountain Rifle stock can easily be painted black to get the desired effect, without going to the inital extra expense of Remington's Alaskan Wilderness Rifle and its
factory matte finished stainless steel components.
Painting the stock is the least extensive/expensive modification to this Tactical .375 that I will be doing. Most likely the finish will be the DupliColor Truck Bed textured
spray-on finish. It's durable and provides a non-slip grip.

One addition to the blind-magzine stock I would do is to install a steel trigger guard, available through Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com

Another addition to this gun would be to have the bolt handle physically attached by screws...yes, the handle has reputedly been able to be removed by forcing it off of the
bolt itself by breaking the weld/solder method of factory attachment. Drilling and tapping and installing Torx screws alleviates that 'possibility'.
I don't think it's happened on a regular basis, certainly not to me, but, why not take the extra step on this rifle?
H.D.Rifles is the place for this to be done.
http://www.hdrifle.com/

The last option to change on this particular 700, because of its intended use and area of operations, is the safety switch. The factory unit doesn't hold the bolt down when
on-safe. That would be a good feature on this rifle. It also facilitates removal of the bolt with the safety ON. Good idea.
A safety by New Ultra Light Arms is available and easily installed, preferrably by a professional gunsmith of good credentials, and is a major plus regarding peace of mind
that the bolt won't be unintentionally opened.
http://www.newultralight.com/

Part of the scope and mount setup is already in my inventory, a Leupold Tactical Mil-Dot 4.5-14x40 A/O.
This will at first seem like a 'WTF?' scope choice, especially with no BUIS (back-up iron sights), but, a back-up scope that is the same as the main scope is a good idea
for me. I wear glasses [Cool] - I will be bringing a back-up pair (or two) with me, so being able to change the scope by having an extra with me is totally sensible in my book!
My inital instinct was to go with the fixed 6X Leupold with my old Redfield 6X as the back-up. Plenty of other suggestions were made re low power fixed/variable, etc.
What I've chosen eliminates the need for another scope purchase, for one, and allows me to use the scope at a low power with great eye relief. As mentioned, I wear
glasses, so this turns out to be a good choice.
By using this scope, ( with the standard duplex reticle ), I get a full 5 inches of eye relief at the lower setting and still have almost 4 on the higher setting. Eye relief will
be very important in this rifle/cartridge combo due to weight and recoil.
The base, after further review, will be the Mounting Solutions "B" steel 1-pc. unit with the large port opening for the long action, allowing full use of the ring spacing.
The rings chosen are Weaver Grand Slam QD units, made of steel and medium height. As on my 700 Police, I've got a gnat's-ass clearance with the bull bbl. This
clearance will increase with the tapered bbl. on the 375. I'll still get a low to the action mounted scope by not having to clear BUIS with higher rings.
http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/Vari-X_III_4.5-14x40mm_Adj_Obj_ Tactical.htm

The size/weight of the scope, in conjunction with the lighter than typical SWAT/SNIPER rings, not to mention the lower cost of the rings, will be a good balance of the
cost/weight factors of building the rifle. One might wonder about putting a heavier scope on a lighter rifle, but the whole package balances out pretty well overall.
Considering using a back-up scope because of the lack of iron sights, I can easily pull the Tactical Mil-Dot unit off of the 700 Police and stretch the rings out and sight it in
for whatever load the .375 will be using, and match it up with the Tactical duplex reticle scope on that rifle, thereby solving my back-up scope dilemma.
There might be concern over the 'knobs' sticking out of the scope, but I don't seen that as a problem. My projections on the gun will be close to the action rather than out
on the bbl. No brake or sight hoods or bbl. bands. Not really a problem.
If I should ever have the need to do it, I'll already have the extra scope, and it will be exactly the same as the ones on 3 other rifles I've got, except for the minor
reticle/target knob differences.
The function, basic look, and eye relief will all be the same. Perfect.

These are the basic components mentioned above to assemble the .375 TACTICAL
With the aforementioned information in mind, I can tell you this: I KNOW THIS IS THE ONE - I CAN FEEL IT.

NOMEX ON...!!!

[ 11-11-2003, 15:37: Message edited by: BusMaster007 ]

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BusMaster007:
---as posted elsewhere---
This is the condensed version of my 'justification' for choosing the gun and components of my .375 H&H bolt-action rifle.
The disclaimer is that it is a firearm that will be agreeable to me and nobody else.
Be sure to read into it a little bit of humor. Some of the comments made are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, said with a smile.
We've seen that in each case, people choose what they perceive to work best for them, and no matter what is suggested by others, the end result is what satisfies the
owner of the gun. So be it.
I've concocted a setup that will suit me for what I'll need out of this gun and am willing to afford for its use.
Admittedly, some of what I've come up with appeals to my aesthetic interest in Black Rifles...
It will be different and perhaps seem nonsensical to some, but I like what I came up with, largely due to the excellent input from various Forums and their Members.
Thanks for your interest and help with this fun project.

The ".375 TACTICAL" Rifle
15 OCT 2003
An agonizing, ongoing project meets its end.

Since the beginning of my interest in rifles, I've longed to have one chambered in the 375 H&H Magnum cartridge. It is the original belted magnum and still generally
considered the world's best all-around hunting cartridge.
My interest in Remington rifles started early and continues to this day, with stops along the way to get thoroughly confused, but still return to the Remington brand.
The following rambling dissertation is yet another attempt at finalizing my .375 H&H choice. Key word - FINALIZE.
As you well know, I've researched this to death, and keep coming back to having and adding to a Remington collection and familiarity with the brand.

One other rifle, the Browning A-Bolt II has been considered heavily. There are a few major factors that have swept that gun aside almost entirely in one day. The fact that
the gun would require refinishing because I prefer a matte black rifle; extra magazines; has a lot of moving parts; reportedly uses some rather cheap potmetal components;
and has in some cases a reputation for failing to fire under inclement weather conditions; all of this has practically made it a non-choice.
The recommendations, even from some of the Mauser/Winchester fans, were to stick with the Remington 700.
There have been recommendations to go with other rifles, stating that the Remington 700 is a flawed design.
I don't see it that way, for the simple reason that the military & police use the 700 extensively, whether modified or not, in tough situations and it works extremely well for
them. This project is going to be a hunting rifle with a couple of 'combat' parts or modifications to it for increased reliability or ability to enhanced the performance in the
field. The design of the 700 is a proven one, and the failures or inadequacies of some components can be addressed as in any other design.
The downplay of the 700 is, I believe, blown way out of proportion, and the truth is that those that denigrate the 700 action will hardly admit that their own choices must, in
some cases, be heavily modified at times to make them work correctly under adverse conditions.
One area of concern mentioned often re the Remington design of the extractor/ejector mechanism is something I haven't figured out as far as changing it, as I've not had a
problem with any of mine.
Modifications to whatever rifle action you choose to suit your needs and be satisified with the results is more important than percieved problems or heresay and blind
prejudice...
This rifle will not be 5-figure full-on custom. It will be assembled from a factory custom shop offering with some unique aftermarket accessories.
Cost of assembly for a rifle in this category, or, in my case, a new catagory, is about even up for any brand or choice of action.

So, today, we've returned to my original idea ( "...as we often do because I'm almost always intuitively correct in my theories and evaluations..." [Wink] [Big Grin] ) which is to build a sort of
hybrid Tactical 700 in .375 H&H.
A tough, reliable and familiar firearm that crosses the threshold of the standard type of hunting gun into hard-ass "tactical/hunting" territory. [Eek!]
This is the Remington 700 Custom Shop Mountain Rifle in carbon-steel with a 3-shot blind magazine and clean bbl.

The Mountain Rifle stock can easily be painted black to get the desired effect, without going to the inital extra expense of Remington's Alaskan Wilderness Rifle and its
factory matte finished stainless steel components.
Painting the stock is the least extensive/expensive modification to this Tactical .375 that I will be doing. Most likely the finish will be the DupliColor Truck Bed textured
spray-on finish. It's durable and provides a non-slip grip.

One addition to the blind-magzine stock I would do is to install a steel trigger guard, available through Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com

Another addition to this gun would be to have the bolt handle physically attached by screws...yes, the handle has reputedly been able to be removed by forcing it off of the
bolt itself by breaking the weld/solder method of factory attachment. Drilling and tapping and installing Torx screws alleviates that 'possibility'.
I don't think it's happened on a regular basis, certainly not to me, but, why not take the extra step on this rifle?
H.D.Rifles is the place for this to be done.
http://www.hdrifle.com/

The last option to change on this particular 700, because of its intended use and area of operations, is the safety switch. The factory unit doesn't hold the bolt down when
on-safe. That would be a good feature on this rifle. It also facilitates removal of the bolt with the safety ON. Good idea.
A safety by New Ultra Light Arms is available and easily installed, preferrably by a professional gunsmith of good credentials, and is a major plus regarding peace of mind
that the bolt won't be unintentionally opened.
http://www.newultralight.com/

Part of the scope and mount setup is already in my inventory, a Leupold Tactical Mil-Dot 4.5-14x40 A/O.
This will at first seem like a 'WTF?' scope choice, especially with no BUIS (back-up iron sights), but, a back-up scope that is the same as the main scope is a good idea
for me. I wear glasses [Cool] - I will be bringing a back-up pair (or two) with me, so being able to change the scope by having an extra with me is totally sensible in my book!
My inital instinct was to go with the fixed 6X Leupold with my old Redfield 6X as the back-up. Plenty of other suggestions were made re low power fixed/variable, etc.
What I've chosen eliminates the need for another scope purchase, for one, and allows me to use the scope at a low power with great eye relief. As mentioned, I wear
glasses, so this turns out to be a good choice.
By using this scope, ( with the standard duplex reticle ), I get a full 5 inches of eye relief at the lower setting and still have almost 4 on the higher setting. Eye relief will
be very important in this rifle/cartridge combo due to weight and recoil.
The base, after further review, will be the Mounting Solutions "B" steel 1-pc. unit with the large port opening for the long action, allowing full use of the ring spacing.
The rings chosen are Weaver Grand Slam QD units, made of steel and medium height. As on my 700 Police, I've got a gnat's-ass clearance with the bull bbl. This
clearance will increase with the tapered bbl. on the 375. I'll still get a low to the action mounted scope by not having to clear BUIS with higher rings.
http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/Vari-X_III_4.5-14x40mm_Adj_Obj_ Tactical.htm

The size/weight of the scope, in conjunction with the lighter than typical SWAT/SNIPER rings, not to mention the lower cost of the rings, will be a good balance of the
cost/weight factors of building the rifle. One might wonder about putting a heavier scope on a lighter rifle, but the whole package balances out pretty well overall.
Considering using a back-up scope because of the lack of iron sights, I can easily pull the Tactical Mil-Dot unit off of the 700 Police and stretch the rings out and sight it in
for whatever load the .375 will be using, and match it up with the Tactical duplex reticle scope on that rifle, thereby solving my back-up scope dilemma.
There might be concern over the 'knobs' sticking out of the scope, but I don't seen that as a problem. My projections on the gun will be close to the action rather than out
on the bbl. No brake or sight hoods or bbl. bands. Not really a problem.
If I should ever have the need to do it, I'll already have the extra scope, and it will be exactly the same as the ones on 3 other rifles I've got, except for the minor
reticle/target knob differences.
The function, basic look, and eye relief will all be the same. Perfect.

These are the basic components mentioned above to assemble the .375 TACTICAL
With the aforementioned information in mind, I can tell you this: I KNOW THIS IS THE ONE - I CAN FEEL IT.

NOMEX ON...!!!

Build it Shoot it And GET ON WITH IT [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
TACTICAL? And here's another one for you; COUNTER SNIPER?............I must have missed the boat with all the buzz words used for a "HUNTING RIFLE".............My Stainless Steel Synthetic Rifle is a tool for hunting. Sometimes I get to shoot at a animal and kill them with it. Most of the time I lug it all over the country side, sometimes it gets used as a "WALKING STICK", or once in a great while when it gets knocked over, I call it my "POGO STICK". But when you sum up all the words: It's still a "HUNTING RIFLE"
[Razz]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BusMaster007,

If you want a "Tactical" rifle, buy this one and be done with it:

http://www.snipercentral.com/pm_sm.htm

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Nice......Weight . . . . . . . . . . . 14.99 lbs (6.8kg) empty without telescope - nor ammo, rings......You got it......TACTICAL, not PRACTICAL

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 4.5-14x scope on a 375 H&H? FWIW, I've only seen one scope of any kind on a Native rifle and they don't seem to have a problem killing anything and everything. I've got a 4x Weaver on my 375 and it's perfect.

Tactical, heavy caliber hunting rifles...I don't get it. It sounds like you thought too much about it or tried too hard. I must have missed the part where the Alaskans gave you this advice. You may or may not care about what the locals think but that gun will roll some eyes around here and get you labeled cheechako pretty quick.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've already purchased a .375 H&H for that once in a life time dream hunt. It's the SAKO TRG-S. The only modification that I think it might need is to have open sights installed. I've been considering the Williams Firesights. A person I know from AK suggested having the barrel shortened. Maybe.
I still need to get the scope and rings for it. The rings will probably be from SAKO and the scope from Leupold. I want QD rings, but I'm not so sure I'll be so fortunate to find any that'll fit this rifle. If I don't find QD rings then I don't supose there would be much reason for open sights. The scope I want for it I believe is now discontinued, so I'll be looking for one more agressively. It's the LPS 1.5-6x42, a rather costly scope but, I've been advised not to scrimp on the otics. I've learned higher magnification isn't really necessary for BIG game hunting.
The last piece of the puzzle is to save up $15K+. The divorce attorney took it before and now raising a child has significantly lowered the priority on this endeavor. I figure realistically it'll cost between $20K to $25K for all the expenses of this once in a life time bear hunt. Damn that's a lot of money.
Afterward I supose I'll sell the rifle. And if I don't make it, then my daughter can sell it and put the money toward one of her dreams.

Most days I just want to pack up and move to AK, but realistically what would a specialized aircraft engineering consultant (office worker) do for a living there? [Confused] I've begun working on my school teaching credentials to support the possibility.
I just gotta get outa this state of Kalifornia. [Roll Eyes]
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bill, I thought about posting this privately but decided against it. This is info that is applicable to the Alaska forum. That sounds like a reasonable rifle and everyone needs a dream...be it a bear hunt or something else. I'm curious as to why a hunt would cost you 20-25k? Are you thinking about a lifesize mount? Otherwise, a bear hunt would not cost you 20k. Also, any occupation related to aircraft has potential up here. You might ask around if you're serious. FWIW, my 2nd cousin is the director of operations for ERA aviation in Anchorage and has a lot of connections in the industry. Don't be satisfied until you do some research.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
A pard of mine built something very similar,some years ago and it is without reservation the most accurate rifle in .375" bore I've seen/shot(and that'd be a bunch).

He went 700 in ADL with the S/S guard. Opted a Schneider #5 contour in 24" S/S and chambered it 375H&H Ackley Improved. All of that is black matte tefloned,as well as the DD 2pc base/rings.

The stock is a Rimrock(pre-borden) and is black as well.

The scope is somewhat of a rarity and even stumped Leupie. It is a 1.75-6x in matte,that sports a mildot reticle and M3-ish turrets. Word is(via Leupie after multiple calls),that it were an experimental offering of sorts and but a few have slipped into the masses. For naysayers,I can go take pics.

Anywhooo.....the above was firstly and foremostly crafted as an "Alaskan All Arounder" and is wonderous in that role.

It's weight/balance and overall personality is wonderous and I routinely try to add it to my collection,though to no avail.

That it dotes on the Barnes XLC's,further beckons it to moi.......................

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
A pard of mine built something very similar,some years ago and it is without reservation the most accurate rifle in .375" bore I've seen/shot(and that'd be a bunch).

He went 700 in ADL with the S/S guard. Opted a Schneider #5 contour in 24" S/S and chambered it 375H&H Ackley Improved. All of that is black matte tefloned,as well as the DD 2pc base/rings.

The stock is a Rimrock(pre-borden) and is black as well.

The scope is somewhat of a rarity and even stumped Leupie. It is a 1.75-6x in matte,that sports a mildot reticle and M3-ish turrets. Word is(via Leupie after multiple calls),that it were an experimental offering of sorts and but a few have slipped into the masses. For naysayers,I can go take pics.

Anywhooo.....the above was firstly and foremostly crafted as an "Alaskan All Arounder" and is wonderous in that role.

It's weight/balance and overall personality is wonderous and I routinely try to add it to my collection,though to no avail.

That it dotes on the Barnes XLC's,further beckons it to moi.......................

Thank you, Brother Big Stick, for lending the first shred of credibility to my idea on any Forum I've tried to share it on! [Big Grin]
Even MY rifle wouldn't be carrying that heavy of a bbl., but, I can see your buddy built a 'machine' that HE wanted and wasn't afraid to use, even if the locals called him 'cheechako' [Razz] and I don't even know what that means... Could be 'crazy red-headed white-boy gun-nut from the lower 48', or close, anyway!
I found ONE link that might show a resemblance to what it is I'm trying to build:
http://www.frontlinearmory.com/gunsmithing/rem700/rem700gk.htm
 -
Check it out.

It's similar to my idea, except it started out stainless and shiny and is a BDL vs. the Mountain Rifle blind mag.
Remember, guys, that this rifle will serve first and foremost to give me a .375 H&H in a platform I'm familiar with and in my favorite color and style of rifle.
Also note that the 'true' minimum magnification of that scope is 4.9(effectively '5'), so I'm right in the ballpark for low-end.
It's REALLY just a hunting rifle with a 'tactical' paint-job and a couple of heavy duty parts. Should be fun and give me a chance to have my cake and eat it, too...sort of.
I LIKE IT! [Wink]

[ 11-11-2003, 15:33: Message edited by: BusMaster007 ]

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]
http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?r=2&q=cheechako

1 entry found for cheechako.
Entry: newcomer
Function: noun
Definition: foreigner
Synonyms: alien, arrival, beginner, blow-in, cheechako, colt, fish, foreigner, freshman, greenhorn, greenie, immigrant, incomer, Johnny-come-lately, late arrival, latecomer, maverick, neophyte, novice, novitiate, outsider, rook, rookie, settler, stranger, tenderfoot, turkey, tyro, wetback, Young Turk
Concept: social entity
Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)
Copyright � 2003 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BusMaster, I must have seen or handled a dozen 375's that look a lot like this. Any number of glass stocked Interarms come to mind. Jaqua's has had a 458 like this for a long time. Not belittleing your dream, but you seem to have put a lot of thought into buying a rifle straight from Remington and putting on an aftermarket triggerguard and a screw in the bolt. That said, it should be a good rifle.

Most of the thought seems to have gone into the scope, and I think you're way off base there for a rifle that will ever be used for hunting. As much as you may like dreaming of snipers and ghillie suits, a 4.5-14 is not very practical for hunting anything that would require a 375. An upper end of 6x is more than adequate for reasonable distance shots at big game, and 4.5X is way,way too much to go after a wounded bear in the alders. Those target knobs get to be a real bitch after dragging them through the brush for a couple of days, at which point you have no idea where the rifle is zeroed unless you stop to check the settings. Often the game just doesn't want to wait around for that.

In a wet climate like Alaska, put on some backup sights if you are serious about hunting anything. A Williams Firesight and a great big ghost ring are hard to beat. Put a reasonable small scope on the rifle and take some of the extra money and pay a good smith to build the ghost ring into the scope base. A second scope is a good idea (I always do that when I travel), but you often need the backup during the hunt when you may not have the scope with you. You also have to resight after swapping scopes(yes, you do!) and that may not be possible or adviseable out in the game field.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
No sniping.
No ghillie suits.
The scope has turret covers and I've got a back-up just like it.
Extra money for gunsmithing isn't in the budget.
And I won't make it to Alaska to hunt for YEARS.
I've just got to get the gun ASAP and this funky setup is something I can do and live with at this time.
I may adjust something in the future, but, for now, this is the easiest way to get a .375 H&H in a package I can love. [Big Grin]

Is there a rule against using 'flash-bangs' to get the wounded bear OUT of the alders so I can shoot 'im again? [Wink]

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
Nikudu posted a thread http://www.nookhill.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=004171#000004 that has articles from an issue in 1995 called 'Big Bore Rifles'.
In that issue is a picture of a rifle built by Lon Paul on a BRNO action.
THAT rifle is the one that inspired me to want to build the Browning A-Bolt II w/BOSS that brought me to this Forum asking so many questions.
In the end, though, I decided to stick with the Remington 700, as that is what I'm most familiar and comfortable with.
The photo I borrowed and posted at the top of this thread closely resembles what I'm going for with the 700.
If it's possible, Nickudu may be able to post a picture of that Lon Paul gun, which is on page 96 of the magazine mentioned.
It's a Black Rifle with all the toys, just as I like 'em! [Big Grin]