THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Hunter injured in brown bear mauling east of Sterling, troopers say

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter injured in brown bear mauling east of Sterling, troopers say
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...erling-troopers-say/

Wildlife
Hunter injured in brown bear mauling east of Sterling, troopers say

By Anchorage Daily News
Updated: 8 hours ago
Published: 8 hours ago

A brown bear mauled a hunter Saturday night east of Sterling, injuring the man before he shot and killed the animal, Alaska State Troopers said.

Sterling resident Nicholas Abraham, 34, was hunting for rabbits north of the Sterling Highway at Mile 73.5 a little after 8 p.m. Saturday when he came across a brown bear sow with cubs, troopers said in an online report.

“Abraham became aware of the sow when he was about 15 feet from her,” troopers spokesman Justin Freeman said. “She was on him immediately after he became aware of her.”

Abraham shot the sow with a .44 handgun, according to troopers’ report.

He was able to drive himself to the hospital, where he was treated for minor injuries, Freeman said.

Alaska Wildlife Troopers investigated the site of the bear mauling Sunday, Freeman said, and they did not see any cubs on site.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9362 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the 44 was is rabbit gun.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I wonder if the 44 was is rabbit gun.

It's Wisconsin Tourist Season here so probably not for rabbits. tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tourist season here also lots of people from IL. and MN.

On that note I have always found that hunting rabbits.

With handguns is good fun and good practice.

With the centered fires I found a wad cutter or semi wad cutter. At moderate velocity punches a nice round hole in them.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when hunting in bear country I recommend rifle and pistol, and no bear spray use that on mosquitos. Hard to combat a bear with a rifle when said bear is on top of you, its pistol time in the Rockies..

Its a do as I say post, not a do as I do post..I never carry a pistol and a rifle at same time, If hunting I carry a rifle, if not hunting I carry a pistol like when fishing.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote