Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted

10 ft

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Is he sitting on a jacket or someone?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Bear! You really should have dragged Phil out from under him before you took the picture though.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Very nice - congrats!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Beautiful Bear! You really should have dragged Phil out from under him before you took the picture though.

No need to drag him out, Phil's just resting under there getting ready to stand up and haul the bear out muscle, bone, hide and all.

Really really nice bear, congrats to the hunter and Phil

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!!!
What load did you use?

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JustOneMoreShot
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Hair looks really nice as well.

Posts: 54 | Location: GA USA | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Tia was the guide and my cousin from Cincinnati the hunter
Blaser R93, 375 H&H, Federal Premiums w/300 Nosler Partitions

Jim

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Awesome bear, congrats to all! I was Tia's last Fall bear client; she is a great guide.

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, I really like the hump
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Unusually nice day for the Peninsula.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Nice Bear Jim!!!

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
The always popular paw picture

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Great, I really like the hump
George

For a minute George I thought you said "you really like to hump" LOL

Nice bear. He's on my bucket list.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
It was a very strange & tough fall season on the Peninsula. High winds delayed guides & clients getting into camps. We were stuck in King Salmon with many others for 3 days. We didn't get to Phil's base camp until opening day. Luckily, we made it out to our spike camp the same day so we could start hunting on the 2nd. The 2nd broke calm & sunny. We spotted our bear soon after arriving on our spotting hill. A short but intriguing stalk resulted in a "bear down" within 3 hours from a Texas heart shot. The stalk was short in distance but the bear eluded guide & hunter for about an hour as it mucked around in some pucker brush (aka alders). I was watching it unfold from some high ground. You could follow the bears movement in the thick brush by the flushing ptarmigan.

I'm a long time Alaskan who was blessed to accompany my Cousin from Cincinnati on this hunt. In Alaska, we are accustomed to the challenges of hunting here in the "Great Land". Weather (high winds, cold, rain, snow, ice), transportation requirements (boat, plane, ATV, even horses), natural events like ash fallout, and confusing retaliations; but we have never had to deal with a government shut down of federal lands. What a season.

Through all this, Phil & Rocky adapted and provided their clients the best opportunity to harvest a bear. I suspect this was not one of their best seasons but it was not due to a lack of effort by Phil's outfit. Phil & Taj flew their asses off in some marginal conditions getting hunters from King Salmon and then into spike camps and moving parties as required. Phil employs very knowledgeable guides who are a pleasure to be around. Even his packers are a "hoot" to be around. There are certainly some great guide outfits in Alaska, but I assure you none of them work harder than Phil's crew.

Here's my happy cousin an his guide, Tia Shoemaker.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Measuring the hide

Jim

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Great bear! Congratulations Phil, Tia, and the hunter!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Way to go Tia and Dad. Job well done. tu2

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote