THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What Islands have Elk hunting in S.E.Alaska

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Islands have Elk hunting in S.E.Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was talking to a friend with a boat in Juneau about Elk hunting in S.E.Alaska.I was wondering if any one had ever hunted them there and what kind of hunt was it?I am think about hunting deer in the fall also on the islands.I was looking for some good info to go on.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're thinking of Etolin Island. I've never hunted there, but I've talked at length with several folk who have. It is one of the toughest hunts around and success rates are very low. The elk tend to be fairly high up, so you've got a helluva steep slog through rainforest jungle where visibility is nigh onto nil. After 3 or 4 hours of that, then you've got keep climbing to find someplace with a bit of a view, where you can spend a few hours before heading back down to the boat (and camp) to rest up for a repeat performance on the next day. Makes elk on Afognak look easy, from what they say.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Technically, the Alaska Hunting Regulations says that res/nonres can hunt elk in GMUs 1 (the mainland), 2 (Prince of Wales Island), and 3 (Kuiu, Kupreanof, Mitkof, Zarembo, Etolin, and Wrangle islands)...part of GMU 3 is a drawing hunt (Etolin Is I think). While I have spent some time on some of these islands (which means I do not have a lot of experience on any of them), I would have to say that encountering elk sounds like a tough proposition. There are lots of deer and black bear in the areas cited above. I have hunted elk on Afognak Is down near Kodiak, and it was very tough (no elk where even seen on that trip). You should call the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and ask them....they are usually very helpful..the number in Petersburg is 907-772-3801. They could answer your questions.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote