New
Find
Notify
Tools

Successful Alaskan Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just returned from a successful caribou hunt unit 23 north of Kotzebue. Three of us shot nice caribou in four days, then flew to the Wulik River for some of that awesome char fishing for 3 days. Jared Cummings was the bush pilot.

Posts: 72 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a successful dall sheep hunt w/ Jared - good guy/pilot. It seems that he really does care that his hunters are on animals. This is not always the case...

Congrats on the caribou!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on guys, we need pics!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
A few pix ... Amazing country.

One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
From camp...

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Looks like you guys had a great trip. Sure is nice country over there. Congratulations. !!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice ram, how old was he? Looks like a lot of rings.

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent

Posts: 89 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
His age seems to be a mystery - what do you put him at?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking he's 9 years old or but hard to tell. Beautiful ram though.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes 9 plus his lamb tips is what I see.
Very nice ram.
Great pictures.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
We had him conservatively at 9 and were even talking about him possibly being 11. Everyone that laid hands on him said at least 9 and full curl as did the first biologist in Anchorage. Then.... the second young chap comes in. He looks him over and says that he's seven and "he can see light in the curl." This started probably the worst 30 minutes of my hunting career (yeah, this should probably be a separate post - sorry to hijack). At any rate I left with a legal ram but a lot less respect for Fish and Game in Anchorage. It's too bad they jerk hunters around like this.

Overall, I would highly recommend Golden Eagle Outfitters and any hunts out of Kotz. It's truly incredible country. The boys at Golden Eagle know how to fly and give a crap where they plant you - can't ask for any more than that! I hope to get back up on a griz hunt sometime in the near future...

One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
Also... thanks for the kind words guys - I am pretty proud of this ram.

Would love to see pheasantman's bou photos...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingsalmonak:
We had him conservatively at 9 and were even talking about him possibly being 11. Everyone that laid hands on him said at least 9 and full curl as did the first biologist in Anchorage. Then.... the second young chap comes in. He looks him over and says that he's seven and "he can see light in the curl." This started probably the worst 30 minutes of my hunting career (yeah, this should probably be a separate post - sorry to hijack). At any rate I left with a legal ram but a lot less respect for Fish and Game in Anchorage. It's too bad they jerk hunters around like this.

Overall, I would highly recommend Golden Eagle Outfitters and any hunts out of Kotz. It's truly incredible country. The boys at Golden Eagle know how to fly and give a crap where they plant you - can't ask for any more than that! I hope to get back up on a griz hunt sometime in the near future...

First off....congrats to all involved hunters (OP and king) on great hunts.

Would you mind starting a separate thread to describe what the warden did and why? I think it's important to point out when they act like jackasses.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote