THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Alaskan teen traumatised after getting death threats for killing huge whale

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan teen traumatised after getting death threats for killing huge whale
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.asiaone.com/world/a...s-killing-huge-whale

Link has story and numerous photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It is sad that the kid is traumatized by the "death threats". It is terrible that there are so many sad lost souls out there but I wish that hunters as a group would learn to take this crap in stride. The tiny handful of jerks who make these threats have no intention of carrying them out, they only do it because it gives them the illusion(?) of power in their sad little lives. Then when the death treats begin to fly the media picks it up and runs with it which just adds fuel to the fire.

I think Ted Nugent(love him or hate him) had the right idea. After thousands of murder/torture threats against him and his children he just laughs and says, "You know how to find me, just come and try it."

If you get upset and show that it gets under your skin you are just giving the sick individuals power.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was bullied in school. Came out stronger, didn't fold and whine and kill myself because I couldn't handle what other people said. We are raising a new generation with a soft under belly.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
I was bullied in school. Came out stronger, didn't fold and whine and kill myself because I couldn't handle what other people said. We are raising a new generation with a soft under belly.

Lots of parts to this equation, but yes what you are saying is true. I don't know anyone who wasn't bullied by someone.

A huge part of it is that we live in an instant gratification world. They can swipe right and meet someone to have sex with 30 minutes later.

They can swipe right and go on a date.

They can spend less time than most people spend on AR and have a college education without ever spending years of their life in a classroom.

We had dinner with a cousin of my wife, and his wife a few months ago. I don't remember if my phone was in the car or at home, my wife left hers in the car.

They were on his wife's first trip to Germany, and they spent 90% of the time we were talking on their cell phones doing stuff with status on facebook. I don't remember a single conversation that was remarkable, and I found them very dull and self interested.

They wanted us to take vacation to show them around, and I told them it was easy just go do it, that phone you spend all your time on has the answers.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
A good article from the Sunday paper:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-lif...kills-bowhead-whale/

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough way to learn a lesson about the way the world works. I remember when you had to get National Geographic or some similar publication in order to see life in far away lands. You could read about it, formulate your opinion, and keep it the hell to yourself. Or discuss it peacefully over coffee, or a few cold ones.

These days, you get to tweet, snap, or facebook your opinion all over the world in a matter of seconds. Internet anonymity makes for some very bold people who tweet and run. Not caring about the impact. We see it here on this forum occasionally with a troll or two.

Hope the best for the young man. He did right by his family and heritage, IMO.

Worst part is that reporting about the negative aspects gives the nutjobs a platform. No good comes from giving idiots a voice.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a child the old saying sticks and stones well break my bones but words well never hurt me.

Comes to mind unless some one is going to do you physical harm don't let this stuff bother you.

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote