New
Find
Notify
Tools

dalls sheep hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which outfitters should I look at for my first sheep hunt. Which area should I hunt in???

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
gunny
I am an "expert" in 1 dall sheep hunt...so
take my advice for what it's worth.

I would hunt the Yukon or NWT for my next ram.
Less pressure,better rams and I think a better
experience overall.

Jeff

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it depends on your pocketbook and what kind of a ram you want. in alaska you are going to spend lots more $$ then in canada, but you won't have to register your guns. The sheep in alaska tend to run with heavier bases then they do in the NWT but the NWT tend to run longer. For instance I took a ram 42 5/8" in the NWT but it only has 12 3/4" bases. Stan stevens has been there for along time, I had gone with NWT outfitters when duanne nelson owned it but it has changed hands & I don't know how the new guys are. The yukon and NWT both give you a cheaper chance for combination hunts. Take you tiime in outfitter selections, if possible go to a FNAWS meeting in your area & gain the current info.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These folks kill a lot of 40" rams in open areas. Matt has one of the highest averages out there. They have never had a fit hunter go home empty, usually getting a ram on the first hunting day. I have a fairly long post telling about ahunt with them this past year, as well as shwoing several pics. This post was running just before New Yeras, so it should only be a page or two back. I can say the only bad thing about going back with them would be who would guide me. I can honestly say that if I could afford it, i would love to have all three of the family out there with me. Sue, Frank, and matt are equals at killing th ebig sheep and each has a perosnality that is perfect for being in an alpine tents with them. If you have any questions or want detailed reccomendations of Matt, drop me an email.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akpages/akhunting/
Matt Snyder

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i rec' alaska trophy adventures, dan montgomery.

i went in 2002 and was successful. see the hunt report section for all details.

good luck..

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Boutang in Fairbanks, Ak. Top in the The U.S. for big rams. Trouble is the best are booked years ahead, Best of luck!

Posts: 116 | Location: Alaska,U.S.A. | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim Mervyn ..... Mervyn's Yukon Outfitters.

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Hey JTG
Back in Egypt?

Have you hunted with Mervyn's Yukon Outfitters for sheep?

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Just got back in Egypt two days ago after a ridiculously hectic time in The US.
I hunted with Tim Mervyn two years ago for Wood Bison and just today got confirmation that I am booked for the same species again in January 2006 (sheep don't intrigue me all that much). Tim is one of the most professional and hard working outfitters I have ever dealt with. He manages his area well for sheep and it shows in his results every year in terms of age and scoring. Someday, when the sheep bug bites (or the grizzly bug for that matter) I will not waste an instant looking beyond Tim. He has treated me well and I have no reason to believe he will not continue to do so.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So John, could you give me the details on his Grizzly hunt?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

Sent you an email just now.

Best,

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for Tim Mervyn as well. I know a couple of his guides too. They're good.

A friend of mine is booking sheep hunts in the Ruby Range. Borders Tim Mervyn's area. Normally they are booked 3 Years in advance. My friend guided this area for years and has just taken it over. If you are interested you can PM me.

I personally hunt these areas myself. In the Rubys, I see 50-70 Rams in the first couple of days. High density of Dall sheep. This place is a favorite of mine.

Artic Red River Outfitters is anouther one to look at. Unless someone cancels, you will need three years to book here. Top of the line guides. Lots of big rams. No skinny bases here.

If a someone can't kill a decent Ram with guys I have mentioned above, they need to give up sheep hunting and save thier money!

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yukoner:
In the Rubys, I see 50-70 Rams in the first couple of days. High density of Dall sheep. This place is a favorite of mine.

Damn those locals! Wink Big Grin Wink

Daryl,
Please let me know if you hear of Yukon College looking to fill a position. It would be quite a contrast moving from Cairo but I think I could tolerate it for the price of those local sheep tags. See you in January! Big Grin

Best,

JohnTheGreek

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

A close friend of mine is from Washington state. He was on his way to Alaska when his truck broke down in the Yukon, near the Alaska border. That was 15 years ago. He has never left. He is one of the best big game guides here.

Teachers end up being serious Sheep hunters. They don't have to go back to work until Sept. so they spend August hunting sheep.

I doubt you would make the same kind of money here but the savings on the sheep tag...., plus I could rent you a cabin.....

Things could work out for you Big Grin

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt you would make the same kind of money here but the savings on the sheep tag...., plus I could rent you a cabin.....
Things could work out for you Big Grin

DANGLING THE BAIT ! ! ! ! Big Grin

JohnTheGreek

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tim Mervyn's

Just for the record,in case somebody actually uses these references.I posted this before.
I am happy for anyone that scored with Tim Mervyn's on a Dall sheep hunt.
I had signed up with him and "hunted" or better hiked on his hunt.In my personal opinion,he is more interested in maximising his profit then delivering.Contrary to all other outfitters I questioned and had the pleasure to be with,he also has no willingness " to make right"
Bottom line: avoid him,there are better,honest and upstanding outfitters in the Yukon.
Dont want to rehash the old story,but will stand behind it

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the report on t. mervyn. i had not heard that before. did u file more details to read in the hunt report section of a.r.?

many thnaks

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re: Tim Mervyn

I'm very suprised to hear of any problems with Tim Mervyn. I've been on several hunts with him over the years, starting in British Columbia when he used to guide with the Collingwood brothers and including two successful Dall sheep hunts in the Yukon. My experiance has been top notch and I regard Tim as one of the best outfitters and guides I've hunted with (and I've hunted with a bunch).

I've also sent a number of other hunters Tim's way and have never heard of a single complaint. He's always impressed me as being very hard working, honest, ethical; and his sheep area is one of the best. Bottom line: I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to hunt again with Tim or recommend him to others. Nothing in life is 100% and hunting is still hunting. But I truly believe if you do your part as a hunter, you have as great a chance at filling your sheep tag with Tim as anyplace in North America.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe so for you and some more.Nobody is perfect-correct.But what I expect is honesty,not salemanship.I had signed up with him for a Dall hunt.Asked him about location and suitable times.He recommended the last hunt.I voiced concern re possible weather,snow making it tough to hunt steep mountains.He countered not to worry,he had several areas and we would simply pick another area should that problem arise.
Fine,I trusted the man.I arrived for the hunt.First question from the guides: did you bring snow shoes?Snow is deep and walking difficult.We arrive in camp,Now I am told that the guides had a hard season and need to rest for a few days (-on my pay Smiler ).Ok,fine
We finally make it to spike camp,looking up the mountain each day,actually walked up 3 times thru high snow that covers a very rocky path,iced over,full of crevices that you break thru and brake a leg or twist an ankle - slow going.Guide slides down a big rock,luckily nothing hurt.Most days we just stay holed up in a pup tent,waiting for the clouds to move.
Listening to the wrangler recalling that my guide punched the previous hunter in the nose when he missed a shot. OK ?
Summary: nobody can control the weather,but I was aware of it and still directed into a season that was questionable at best.No alternative was offered or present - a lie was sold.The hunt was a farce,as everyone knew,we pretended because we were there,nothing else to do.I listened to the guides complaints that he hates the job each cheery morning.
At the end I confront Tim with the facts,ask for remedy for full fee paid,suggested follow up hunts.Answer:Nope,he talked to the guide and determined that everything was offered.
In brief,he filled his slots for full payment and I payed for 1 single reason: I trusted him as the outfitter against my laymans concern.
He will do so in the future every time.
He maximises personal profit at cost to the hunter- even offering nothing in return or forcing you into dangerous situations uncalled for.Dont want to belabor the point
Each read between the lines at his own pleasure
I would never sent a friend to entrust his hunt or money with a person of his character.

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote