Find
Notify
Tools

Re: For Bill G--bear hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mike,
Sorry for the delay in the reply. I have missed shots, BUTTTTT, not very often. I have records of all my hunts since about the 70's. I have kills that were over 300 yards and misses at about 60 yards. There was no method to either scenerio, but let me say this. I have been muzzle blasted (2) times in my life and this bear hunt was one of them. My guide and I had discussed this during the hunt. As a responsible guide I expected him to dispute my request if there was an issue. There was no dispute. So when a .416 rem. about slapped me across the side of my face after I shot and clearly missed, admittedly, I was shocked, pissed and a little dis-oriented. After that I instantly knew a couple of things. I did not know if he hit the bear, I knew if he did it was not a book bear, and why the hell did he shoot is a mystery to me to this day. He publicly posted, "HE SCREWED UP". Every person that is familiar with this incident has accepted that admission from that guide except for about (3) people on this forum and "raft boy" on the other forum. Being the webmaster of www.huntersbeware.com myself, I am greatful for the (4 of them). Their posts have both solidified our case and have spiked E-mail interest nearly 50%. I love it. My staff are not the only one's that are cognizant of the lies being posted, Believe me.

The gun in question was a .338-.378 weatherby. I shoot it well and it is a significant weapon, no question. Two hundred yards would have had no bearing. The hit would have been substantial.

Weather was clear and we had just done about a 300 yd dash. After I missed I expected that since there was absolutely no reaction from the bear we would wait till it walked (which is all it ever did) out of sight and put an alternate plan of action into place.

Mike, you are right, you live in a wonderful state. We have friends there that we talk to weekly. We buy fish from them, and just small talk every few days. This hate Alaska bullshit was contrived from your fellow Alaskan's. Not accepting getting screwed, well, it turned out to be Alaska but not by choice. Believe me, if this screwing took place in Alabama, we would be addressing it to the Alabama folks.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep it a secret. Urban sprawl is like a disease. Thanks.

Posts: 60 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote