Find
Notify
Tools

Final Nudge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
I can remember in my college chem class, the professor discussing something like "The Energy of Activation" or something like that. Where it took only a little bit more of something to cause a reaction to finally occur.

Well, that's where I'm at now with my best friend who doesn't frequent this forum. I've spent a year now, researching outfitters, calling client references lists and listening to the same praises for certain outfitters over and over areas, researching different modes of transportation to get to the where the outfitter wants us to be, perusing numerous airline sites to determine the best flights to take, even flip flopping on the type of game hunted. Now, that we're there, dates lined up, research completed, gear purchased, taxidermist contacted, etc; well, you know, my buddy is waffling on this whole thing, saying it's an aweful lot of money. Yeah, he knew that up front. Financially, he's better off than I am. I'm hoping someone here has an idea for me to get my buddy to finally get that final little nudge to write the check. We fly Sept 5th.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP

Maybe you just need a different hunting partner

What are we hunting ???

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 141 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm over sixty and now look back and see how big of a fool I was. Worked every day and still do to some extent,sick or not I still worked ! Dreamed about sheep hunting and at that time it was $2500.00 but thought when I retire then I will go. I am in good shape but still not sure if I would be tuff enough to endure sheep country. Buried alot of good friends in that time ,layed to rest the other day a 43 year old neighbor girl who passed with cancer and if that isn't enough my brother-in-law is fighting throat cancer taking chemo and radiation every day. GO WHILE YOU CAN TOMARROW MAY NEVER COME FOR YOUR FRIEND ! What good is your money when your laying in a nursing home watching it dwindle away,memories will last your life time and if your mind is gone it won't make much difference. Good luck Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
GSSP:
My philosophy of life is that if you don't do something, then you never will and you could very possibly regret not doing "it" later in life.
In short, assuming I had wanted to climb Mt. McKinley when I was in my 20's, had the money, time, etc but instead decided to delay it, I could very possibly never do it and then live to regret it.
During my early years here in Ak. I hunted quite a bit with sheep highest on the list. I then gave up hunting for about 20 years. I finally woke up & realised I wasn't getting any younger & had better begin doing things I really wanted to do. For me, I realize I probably won't be able to hunt sheep in my 80's but I'm certainly gonna give it a try. For me now, the highest priority on the list is sheep hunting in the Brooks. I know that when I get too old to tramp the mountains, at least I gave it my best shot.
If your partner doesn't realize this then maybe you should look for another. Don't let him dictate your wishes. He may have more money than you but in the end, we're all equal - we ain't gonna take it with us. Just my thoughts and by God I AM goin' sheep huntin' come hell or high water. Best of luck on your trip.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
let him know the benefits of health is better up there - can't put a dollar sign on good health. Ain't getting any younger-go!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You can borrow money but you can't borrow time.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] Maybe you just need a different hunting partner [QUOTE]

X2

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time waits for no one.. It won't wait for Me..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First mistake was you doing all the work. He didn't have any time in putting this together.
With that said, find someone else. Then show him and all your friends the pics.
None of my friends wanted to go to Africa. So I went solo. Took lots of pics of the area and of the game I took and now they all want to go...

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grand father who I did not know had a saying. DO it while you are young. My father told me of a story about hiim and his dad on a fishing trip.

While out on the lake and catching lakers his dad said they had to leave so he could get back to work the next day. My father wanted to stay as the fish were biting really nice, but work called and his dad was really commited to his job as a chemist. He ied at 49 from industry cancer from exposure to his jobs chemicals.

This had an effect on him and shaped his life so that when he could he started his own business and built it to the point that he could come and go and do what he wanted through this 40-50's. He bought a sea plane and went fisheing into canada, quebec when he wanted buit worked the fall in the gun shop as this was tghe time that he had to. He loved fishing and built his life so he could do it when he wanted to. We spent many days flying around cananda finding out of the way lakes to explore.

As I grew up and I wanted to ride a motorcyle out west as I grew up in NY state. My friend was to go with me and as the day came he had all these excuses as to why he could not go so I left on my own. Spent 3 weeks riding west not knowing where I was to end that day. It was one of my best trips.

Hunting tends to be the same just go myself and not to plan a round any one else. You really need to do these things and not worry about the other guy that might go with you.. My trip to Africa was the same I just went myself and didn't worry about trying to get some one to go with me. No worries about what they are doing or how they feel. Just GO NOW!!! TIem is to shrt and you do not know when life will change.

GO!

I tend to use more than enough gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The same thing happens to me from time to time. I make big plans for a hunt and one by one my huntin buddies drop out. Last fall, I started with 6 of us goin on a brownie hunt. Turned out only two of us actually followed through.

If you wanna go...then go. I've been on more than one fly out where the flying service asked if we minded if "Joe Smith" flew with us as he was hunting by himself. Each time, "Joe Smith" camped near us and we had a great time.

FWIW, one of the last things my mother told me before she passed away from Cancer 5 years ago was "I don't regret the things I did, I regret the things I didn't do".

Posts: 446 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Deposits have been send for the two of us. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Money comes and goes, a good hunt is priceless.

I too saw my dad work long and hard hours for many, many years. He retired at 72, and I lost him last year to cancer just after his 80th birthday.

Go while you can, the future is always uncertain, and too many people regret what they didn't do more than what they did do in life.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
GSSP, good luck to the both of you on your Alaskan hunt.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote