Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Air Cargo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
Has anyone here used NAC to ship powder, primers, or the like, to Dillingham or other Bush communities? Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have used NAC a lot. Your components will be clasified as hasmat and you will be chrged for it.
All of the air cargo companies got jacked up by FAA last fall and now there really particular about hasmat. You can't slip things through anymore like some of my friends used to do. I inadvertantly had my .300 ammo in my backpack that I sent ahead of my hunt to Kodiak last fall. They xrayed the bag and found the ammo and I thought they were going to shoot me.

Your best bet will be to call or even better go in to NAC and ask.

Don't forget Everts is a good option also.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I don't mind paying the hazmat fee as long as I can get my components to Dillingham. I kick myself for not stocking up and putting it on the barge when I had the chance. Live and learn!!

Can you still ship loaded ammo in your checked baggage? I ship my hand guns with ammo and mags all the time, so long as I declare them.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Sure there never has been a problem bringing loaded ammo on your checked baggage. Just be sure it is packed in boxes that individully seperate each case like the plastic reloading boxes or in there origonal manufacturers box. You can carry 40 pounds unless your going international th only 5 k's or 11 pounds.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Although I don't buy factory ammo I will probably pick up a bunch of factory ammo to hold me over until I get components. It will at least give me a bunch of once-fired brass. Lou

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I will driving about 15# s of powder and 1000 primers from the lower 48. Canada will allow up to 17#s of smokeless powder and 5000 primers, 4000 grams or less of powder per container. Once in Anchorage I will use either Linden or Evert Air to ship to Dillingham. The haz mat fee is $30 plus shipping on 15#s.

Lou