THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Spotting scopes and rangefinders

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Spotting scopes and rangefinders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I appreciate the replies. I'm going with the Leica 900 rangefinder. Still looking at scopes, though. I'd prefer the 60mm class, since they'll mostly be used for caribou and mountain hunts. I'll be hunting caribou out of Dillingham in Sept, which will be the first use of the scope.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've gotten interested in the B&L Elite after having seen a photo of what someone else built using these scopes.

He rigged two 22 x 80 Elites together to build a set of what he calls "Big Eyes". It's on a super-heavy duty tripod. I'll bet it works pretty good.

I looked into similar manufactured binocs. Oberwerk builds a set of 25 x 100 binoculars, complete with heavy wooden tripod and carry bag, for around $1600.

Objective lenses that large are almost like having eyes like owls. And 22x binocs are three times more powerful than my 7 x 60 Zeiss.

It's been food for thought....

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trademark,

Since you mentioned a caribou hunt you'll be hunting in perhaps foul weather and carrying your gear on your back. Pick the best optic quality you can but make sure your equipment is waterproof not just water resistant. Weight is also a big consideration. Every ounce matters when your pack is full of meat.

Have a great hunt!

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote