THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Your Proven Handloads For Alaska Big Game Recommendations

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Proven Handloads For Alaska Big Game Recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If guys are willing to share the formula for their pet hand loads, I am looking for the following. Please include expected Velocities if you know it.

.340 Weatherby Mag with 250 & 300 Gr. Nosler Partitions.

.300 Weatherby with 220, 200 and 180 Gr. N.P.

.30-06 with 220,200,180 Gr. N.P.

I hope this helps other guys as well. Thanks in advance.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
If guys are willing to share the formula for their pet hand loads, I am looking for the following. Please include expected Velocities if you know it.

I hope this helps other guys as well. Thanks in advance.

RP cases, max book loads of either r-19 or IMR 4350, fed primers.

I guess in the -06 I like the 180g bullets. If I need a 200+ grain bullet I use my larger rifles.

Posts: 9461 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
200 gr NPT w/ a case full of H4831 does the trick for me.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 30-378 with 180 TTSXs: 98 grains RL22; 3280 on my chrono. Great for long shots, moose & bear; too much for caribou

I use 165 A-Frames & TTSX in my 308 SCAR, 16 inch barrel. 42 grains TAC, Lapua Brass. Get right under 2500 off my bench. Works great on Caribou and have killed blk & grizzly bear with gun.

I just ordered a used Win model 88 308 (oak leaf) at Cabelas store in Anch. I really enjoyed their used gun corner. Looks like I'm going back down to 308 from my Weatherbys.

A relative was up last August with 300 short mag, it was really a sweet gun for caribou, me
wants one

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ

R17 56 GN 180 NP 2900
R17 54 GN 200 NP 2725

the other benefit with this powder is there is no compression issues, which is a real bonus

Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M98

What happened to your other comment ? Good information.

Can you forward me or post the link to the 24 hour campfire topic you are referring to ? I looked and could not find it.

I am looking to have loaded for me all the spent brass I have and that should tide me over for the next 15 years, or at least until I am no longer burdoned by the SAFE Act.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

Being that you are looking to load a lot of cartridges I will give you my all-time favorite load: Winchester brass(any other would work), Federal primer(all others seem to work), 57gr of AA4350 and a 180 gr Remington Core Lokt. This will get you a bit over 2700fps in almost any rifle.

This was my practice load originally but it was so accurate that I tried it on game. It has never failed me. I have killed quite a bit of stuff in the 500-750 pound range and most all have been one shot kills. The Core Lokts hold together well and penetrate deeply(usually under the off side skin on lung shots).

BTW, this is an economical load. It used to be really cheap when AA4350 was $65 for an 8lb keg(enough for almost 1,000 rounds) and Core Lokts were $145 per 1,000.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
M98

What happened to your other comment ? Good information.

Can you forward me or post the link to the 24 hour campfire topic you are referring to ? I looked and could not find it.

I am looking to have loaded for me all the spent brass I have and that should tide me over for the next 15 years, or at least until I am no longer burdoned by the SAFE Act.

It is on the other thread:
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
COLD ZERO
i to used the federal H E ammo for years and shot a truck load of game.....try useing R17....with R17 with 56 gns you will get 2900 with the 180 partition , and with the 200 gn nosler with 54 gn you will get a touch over 2700
i just recently sold my supply of 180 noslers , as i have changed over to useing the 200 gn nosler part for everything, and i mean everything....i think all up the 200 gn @2700 is a better combination out of the 06 then the 180 @2900....and belive me there is nothing wrong with the 180 @ 2900
there is a great post on 24 hr campfire , one of the posters was useing R17 57 GNS with the 180 accubond , he was getting 2975 and shot everything with it
give the 200 gn partition a go at 2700, you will never regret it !!!!
Daniel

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero ---- I use a .340 Wby and the my experience follows. Sorry to be so late, had to collect my data. I took a B&C Moose in the Farewell Burn using a 240 grain Northfork loaded with 87 gr. of RL-19 and a Fed 215M primer. It chronys at 2967 fps and I had a bang flop result. You could use the same load for 250 grain Nosler Partition. I also use 225 grain Barnes TSX or Northfork with 86 grs of RL-22, same primer. This load chronys at 2982 fps with the Northfork a little faster. I am now playing with Magpro Started with 225 grain Northfork and TSX same primer. This load chronys at 3217 and was a little hot, I now load a couple grains less. The hot load was a one holer but I wouldn't use it in a hunting situation. Hope this helps. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out using 4064 and heard for years that 4350 was THE powder for 30-06. I tried some 4350 and the results for me weren't nearly as good as 4064. I use 52.2 grains and 150 grain bullets. Many argue you want to use heavier bullets, but the 150's worked great for me--even on moose. Funny some of the ones saying go heavier were using 130's in .270.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote