New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Always The Stand Tree
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All the trees in the woods, and for me them cubs want to run up my stand tree. Last week, the boy had a yearling try crawling into stand, bear was right nx to stand floor but boy was able to yell bear down and then the bear casually returned to eating outta the barrel. I tried poking this one out tonight but he just started chatterin and chewin bark in frustration, so we went home. His momma will show back up and he'll go back to eatin my bait.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A Wrist Rocket sling shot with a pocket full of ball bearing would encourage the cub down.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Wrist Rocket sling shot with a pocket full of ball bearing would encourage the cub down.

That idea also works on Buffalo at Yellowstone when they decide to relax between your cabin and the parking area.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A shot of bear spray most likely would deter them.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt I could even mail bear spray in here, nowheres to buy things like that where I call home, probably should have fired a shot nx to his head to scare him down. Trouble is I want the bigger boars to come in. How does one selectively keep the sows with cubs away from bait station? I never really had this too many sows with cubs problem until this year.

I have other stands & locations but this stand is 7 minutes by 4 wheeler from the house, close and easy, hate riding 45 minutes over super rough trails to get to my moose stand which has all kinds of bear including grizz for nx Spring.

For me personally, I like using my own trails out my back door from my woodlot trail, no other hunters, or people from town that I have to run off. Once one gets accustomed to having their own hunting spots, hard getting use to seeing anybody else out there. You rural Alaskans know what I'm talking about.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to keep the sows and cubs out of a bait.

On some baits that can get to be a problem 10 or so bears using it and not a decent shooter in the bunch.

On fellow counted 15 differant bears coming in all small to medium.

If you come up with a way for big boars only I am sure you could sell it.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote