Find
Notify
Tools

TO YHC:
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted
I tried to return you Private Message..Your personal setting do not allow PM's.

To reply to your message concerning bird dogs here. Alaska doesn't have a great bird season compared to other states. Grouse are really, really, really dumb here. You can slap them with a stick vs. using a shotgun. Waterfowl season conflicts with moose season for most of the state. So you choose to fill your freezer with moose or fill it with geese. By time you fill your moose and take care of it most of the geese here in the interior are gone. Luckly, I have a buddy that has a airboat...so we go out in the flats and shoot remaining ducks and geese if we can.

I have found it always useful to have a good dog around for ducks that remain, grouse that get away and ptarmigan that bury themselves in the snow if injured.

Glad to see that you are familiar with Deutsch-Drahthaars (DD). GREAT DOGS! My boy is from the Altmoore bloodline. I had a DD that passed away about two years ago from the Vom Forst bloodline. If you have a chance to get a DD in Germany...Get him/her! DD's are very spendy dogs. There are only a few here in Alaska and no breeders or testing.

So are you going to Richardson or Wainwright?

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote