THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    My .375 Ruger thinks it's a varmint rifle!!!!!!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My .375 Ruger thinks it's a varmint rifle!!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I went down to Rabbit Creek shooting range today to continue my load developement for my .375 Ruger. I'm shooting 300 grain TSX with RL 15. It was a very windy day and of course at a perfect cross wind, but the groups held. All are 4 shot groups at 100 yards with a 7 power scope.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. Barringer:

Slick shooting!

By the way, I would really like to know how often you have to trim your 375 Ruger cases.

I am curious, because I would like to know if the 30 degree shoulder really impedes the forward flow of the brass case versus a 20 degree shoulder.

My 7x57 Ackley with its 40 degree shoulder almost never needs trimming.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Shooting Brett!! My .376 Steyr & 270g TSX W/Varget has similar results
Have a good one!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Load development over!!! You have a super accurate load with the best big game 375 bullet made. Your done. Do you know what velocity you are getting?

I had wondered if the long for weight TSX would intrude too far into the 375 Ruger case compromising powder space but evidently not from your results.

The Barnes Banded Solid shoots about one inch higher than the TSX in my 375 Weatherby with the same charge. A litte fiddling should put them right on top of each other.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get the same results with fac.ammo in my 375 Ruger Alaskan. .3-.4" groups with Hornadys 300 grs SP ammo.. Havent tried reloads yet but looking forward to do so...

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great rifle ammo combo. I have not tried loading my TSX bullets yet. My 260 gr NAB were very accurate. Ruger builds a great rifle for the money!

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I've shot the cases 3-4 times each with no or VERY little if any flow. Unfortunately they aren't going as fast as I'd like the super accurate load at 71gr RL 15 is at 2475fps. I shot as far up as 73gr yesterday and it was at 2515, but the groups have started to open up. I have 73.5 and 74 loaded up for the next trip to the range. I'd like to be at 2550-2600fps, but if the groups don't come in I may have to decide between accuracy and velocity.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

A buffalo or a brown bear will never know the difference between 2475 fps and 2600 fps nor will your trajectory change to any appreciable degree. I'll bet you $5.00 74 gr won't give your more than 2550 fps and the group will be 1.75" or bigger.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well - my 375 Ruger Alaskan with its 20" barrel gives 2865 f/s with the Hornady 270 grs SP ammo and 2665 f/s with the 300 grs sp ammo from same manufacturer.. So I guess 2600 f/s is no problem at all.. Actually I will try to reach 2700 f/s with the 300 grs bullets in my rifle because the factory ammo at 2665f/s shows no evidence of too high pressure..

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
Well - my 375 Ruger Alaskan with its 20" barrel gives 2865 f/s with the Hornady 270 grs SP ammo and 2665 f/s with the 300 grs sp ammo from same manufacturer.. So I guess 2600 f/s is no problem at all.. Actually I will try to reach 2700 f/s with the 300 grs bullets in my rifle because the factory ammo at 2665f/s shows no evidence of too high pressure..

Two things:

1. Hornady has special powders available to them to get those velocities that we can't get.....yet.

2. I'm shooting Barnes TSX and my experience with TSX is that they don't go quite as fast as some of the other bullets out there in the same rifle. So if Swifts, Hornady, Nosler go 2600-2650 the TSX will probably only go 2550-2600.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Brett,

A buffalo or a brown bear will never know the difference between 2475 fps and 2600 fps nor will your trajectory change to any appreciable degree. I'll bet you $5.00 74 gr won't give your more than 2550 fps and the group will be 1.75" or bigger.

Mark

You're probably right Mark and unless the groups come back in I'll probably go with the 71gr load.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Two things:

1. Hornady has special powders available to them to get those velocities that we can't get.....yet.

2. I'm shooting Barnes TSX and my experience with TSX is that they don't go quite as fast as some of the other bullets out there in the same rifle. So if Swifts, Hornady, Nosler go 2600-2650 the TSX will probably only go 2550-2600.

Brett

Well. I shot some reloads over the chrono last night. With VVN 550 and N-204 I got 2900 f/s with 270 Barnes TSX and 2710 with 300 Nosler Partitions Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Buffalo ; That velocity seems awfully fast ...... My 20 " 375 Ruger Alaskan .doesn,t even come close to that unless I leave it setting in the hot sun chambered up then shoot that round .. First round of factory ammo 270 gr goes around 2830 fps . Then the velocity drops down to the normal 2725 fps ....Are you keeping your rifle and ammo in a sauna ??
Mark I disagree .There,s no reason to give up velocity . alot of guys like Hal Waugh , Andy Runyon , Ben Forbes felt the added velocity made a BIG difference on putting a bear on the ground ......The difference between inch and a half group and a 1/4 th" group is negligible when it comes to off hand shooting ... Rifle fit , function and the shooters ability with that rifle matter alot more .......... Brett , why the 300 gr . the 270 gr will do perfect for anything the 375 is meant for ... The added recoil and steeper trajectory don,t help much in long range shooting . and with the TSX 30 gr weight won,t matter @ 10 feet distance to target ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no, just around 18 degr. celcius.. Average for 270 grs is 2865 f/s and 2665f/s for 300 grs sp.(factory ammo). No big difference between first shot and the following in my rifle.. 2900 f/s for the 270 grs TSX reloads might be hot, but no pressure signs at all. Same for 300 grs partition at 2710 f/s. Guess that my little rifle gives better than average velocities.. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow. great shooting.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
no, just around 18 degr. celcius.. Average for 270 grs is 2865 f/s and 2665f/s for 300 grs sp.(factory ammo). No big difference between first shot and the following in my rifle.. 2900 f/s for the 270 grs TSX reloads might be hot, but no pressure signs at all. Same for 300 grs partition at 2710 f/s. Guess that my little rifle gives better than average velocities.. Big Grin

Just like some rifles are "faster" than others...so are some chronys beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
quote:

Just like some rifles are "faster" than others...so are some chronys beer

May be so.. My chrony gives same results as two friends chronys except for 2-5 f/s when all are lined up after each other. We did that while testing another caliber just to make sure that all three chronys were reliable. Now you might say that all three chronys show faster than average vel... But I think that is unlikely.. Wink

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm going to work up loads with RL17 to see what I get. A friend told me he attained 2600fps velocities with resonalbe accuracy with RL17. We'll see.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Those are nice groups, I'd stay with the smaller one also. My CZ 375 H&H shot pretty well too ...

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Very nice group. It's a verticle string so I would imagine if you played with tenths of a grain either directions you could tighten it up even more.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks I shot 3 roughly that size within the same 20 minutes or so. If I had let the barrel cool down a bit it might have reduced it a bit too. Unfortunately the 375 barrel is sitting by my gun safe I had my CZ 550 rebarrled to 500 Jeff. I like my Jeff but miss the 375, probably should've just bought a second rifle lol ...

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Just an update:

RL 17 is the ticket. You can achieve 2600-2700fps with 300 grain Barnes TSX with reasonable accuracy.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson