THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: grizzly, fairbanks, gun choice

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: grizzly, fairbanks, gun choice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
C.Z.
I wonder why you are limited to those 2 choices for gun. I would prefer a a 9 lb 375 H&H over a 7 lb 300 or a 14 lb 340. What does your guide suggest? Why risk an expensive rug over a poor choice in guns. Maybe GregP is right and you should use a 22. That way when our trigger happy Alaskan guides have to shoot your trophy it will only have 1 big hole and 1 little hole in it.You can also use the tried and true method of missing entirely and then your trophy would only have 1 hole in it from the guide. In that case, take whichever gun you can miss best with. I suspect a hunter with your experiences has more appropriate guns in his safe than these 2 choices. I hope you are not just trying to yank our chains and get another argument startedSmiler. Of course, you and Bill G. did so well in the last couple of discussions here that this one might end up just as much fun. So take whatever you want, the griz probably won't care, but I would take as big as you have that you can shoot well.
Ken

Posts: 39 | Location: Pilot Station AK | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet there are a few people on this board that would be willing to take you bear hunting and promise to NOT shoot your bear for you. All, of course, providing you do indeed use a .22 long rifle pistol.

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

i would like to hear some opinions on the area 30 flight time outside fairbanks for trophy grizzly in mid to late sept?

choice of gun opinions........
.300 w.m. and 200 gr. n.p. or
.340 wthby mag and 250 n.p.

the .300 weighs half the .340

don't want a guide having to poke a hole in my new rug.

cold zero

30 min. flight time in a 206??, a 75 mile radius arround Fairbanks?? there is lots of Griz. country!!
The Weatherby W/250g would be my first choice

Good luck

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
I Have been nose to nose with the BIG bears many times. And my opinion, is you use the biggest you can shoot. Its been many a time I feel under-guned with a .375 H&H . Many of the guys on this forum that suggest a smaller 30 cal have never been up close and personal with one of these bears. I also have a .458 lott that I use at times. My mininum requirement is at least something in the .338 cal.
Now a .308 cal will do the job ( never said it won't ). But if things get exciting, you will be willing to trade that .300 win in and any amount of money for a real kick ass gun. Just my .02 cents. Maddog

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold zero, you should try a .22 long rifle out of a ruger single six. I hear sportsmans warehouse has a sale on them. Please have your guide give us a report of the hunt.

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Ken Essex; Why are people like you always poking something at the guides. Their are good and bad in every field. Cops, guides, politicians, teachers, etc. Why toss gas at every ember? " trigger happy ALASKAN guides". Whats up with that? MADDOG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ts,
I think he was trying to say 30 min flight time out of fbks. Not unit 30.

I'd go for the winmag myself.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maddog, I did not think Ken was being disrespectful(sp) to the guides. I believe he was being aiming a jab at Bill G. If you look back a few posts, Bill G. was crying like a gut shot fag in regards to a guide shooting "his" bear or some other crap like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, the .340 really does weigh 13+ #'s. no, i was not trying to start a flame, in fact i have not started any only chimed in to ones that develop. isn't that what this site is for, discussion?

i don't think that those 2 guns are bad choices for this trip. they are also the 2 heaviest guns i have. i see no need to get something new. my guide said either would be fine. although i have taken a b.b., i have not grizzly hunted. yes, i do know the laws. b.t.w. the guide is ernie finch, and i anticipate no problems and have rec' him to other people. i don't think the guide will have to shoot the escaping bear as i expect to drop him clean. i don't miss much. all that .22 practice.

ken this thread has to do w/ fairbanks, grizzly and guns reccomendations. if you want to talk about trigger happy guides go back to the other thread. you must really hate billg, as u bring him into every discussion.

gregp;
thanks for the opinion. i know just the place for it. if i want to hear another one from u, i will fly out to the oil platform and squeeze your head for somemore shit.

cold zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either gun will be fine, but the .340 offers a greater punch on any game. If you decide to get a bigger gun that the .340 (which does not make any sense to me), then get a .416.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Either gun would work fine. But I would pick the 340 unless it really weighs 14#.

Just practice a lot. So you can make good shots on the bear.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero,

If it were me, I'd take the lighter 300 Win Mag. Can't say much about the area trophy wise. We used to live up there (87-91), and I saw some, but not a bunch, of nice grizzlies while flying around.

I thought Kens joke about saving one bullet hole was funny! We've got to maintain a sense of humor here. I do in fact get serious when facts are mistated, but even then, I prefer to keep it light-hearted if able.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is area 30? My regs. stop @ GMU-26?

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero- I would for sure take the .340 weatherby. I had a client on the last hunt of the year, in 2003 at lake Iliamna, Take a 8'9" Brown with his .340, in one shot. He hit it in the chest at about 50 or 60 yards. The bear hit the ground with a thud, then got up and took off at about a warp factor 7, into the brush. We waited for some time then headed in to find the bear and he was DEAD at about 150 yards from where he fell. The .340 225 gr. trophy bonded bullet from the federal co. was in the boiler room with a perefect mushroom. The bear was dead as he ran. He just didn't know it.

KEN E.<<>> Sorry if I took things to personal, I have been on this board for almost three years and never let anybody except a select few know that I was a guide outfitter in Alaska until lately. I am proud of the job I do and I feel I am very good at it. I am 100% on Bear for 7 years straight

and havent shot a backup shot but about 3 times in 20 years. Maby I am just lucky, or blessed is more like it. Click on the web site below if you want to see some nice bears.... Thanks maddog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would like to hear some opinions on the area 30 flight time outside fairbanks for trophy grizzly in mid to late sept?

choice of gun opinions........
.300 w.m. and 200 gr. n.p. or
.340 wthby mag and 250 n.p.

the .300 weighs half the .340

don't want a guide having to poke a hole in my new rug.

cold zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold:
I think the .340 even though it weighs more would be a better choice. Right off the bat I'll admit to being prejudiced against anything smaller than .33 cal. for the big bears. Not trying to start an argument here on that & don't anybody try starting an argument or flame on the subject. I'm not gonna respond. Assuming you mean within 30 minutes flying time from Fbks., I can tell you that most of that country is rather thickly forested. Of course there are some "open" areas but those are normally found near the peaks of some of the mountains. I can also tell you that any of that country is very rugged once you begin walking. Viewing it from the air leads to deception. Since the area is so heavily timbered, relatively close shots should be expected. Think I'd ask the guide for his recommendations. That's about all that I can think of for now. Hope this helps some. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
The 340 - hands down.

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maddog,
I am sorry that you felt I was taking a poke at guides. That was not my intention. I was taking a poke at some who have issues with some guiding outfits. I have never hunted with a guide and am not prepared to comment one way or the other about the reality of guides or their operations.Of course there may be people in every profession that reflect badly on the rest. I, in fact, was trying to have a little fun with this and with the previous threads. The guide bashing on this forum seems to have mostly come from those that have paid for guide services and then been dissatisfied with what they received. The "trigger happy" part is the sentiment put forth by some who didn't feel the guide has the right to follow up on wounded bears. I am all for the guides, it is yet another opportunity for Alaskans to seperate another tourist from their money.
Cold Zero,
I don't hate Bill G. I find his stated position fairly pathetic and him a source of amusement, both for myself and hopefully, for others. If I disagree with you, you won't resort to childish innuendo and name calling like him will you? It might damage my self esteem. Besides I wouldn't want my head squeezed because you disagree with my opinion. In a serious response, I personally would not want to carry a 13lb rifle, it can be some hard hiking out there, but if it is not an inconvenience to you then that is what I would go with if you shoot them both equally well. If your guide has an area where you will spend a lot of time glassing and waiting then the 340 would be a fine choice. I think the recommendation for a 416 is a good one and I would use it as an excuse to get another rifle. Again, I don't have any experience with guides and if you feel confident with the one you are booked with then I wish you well.
Ken

Posts: 39 | Location: Pilot Station AK | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote