THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Homer man defends him self with 10mm

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homer man defends him self with 10mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aug 3rd A Homer man shot and killed a charging sow brown bear at Humpy Creek last Friday. Kim Woodman, 57, shot the bear five times with a 10mm handgun before the bear fell about 6 feet from him. While backing away from the sow,

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Aug 3rd A Homer man shot and killed a charging sow brown bear at Humpy Creek last Friday. Kim Woodman, 57, shot the bear five times with a 10mm handgun before the bear fell about 6 feet from him. While backing away from the sow,

COOL,,, Nice shooting Kim !!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Oh man , I missed this one. . I wish they would publish all the gun /load and situation particulars when this kind of thing happens . ;-)

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glock 20 10mm federal 180jhp

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks P dog !! He must have done some good shooting.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the whole story

With video and interview

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...mm-bear-defense.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post and information p dog. I just picked up a Glock 20 a couple of months back to replace my .41 mag. with more firepower. I plan on loading it with hard cast 220 gr. WFN hoping that I never have to use them except for target practice.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Alaska is a small enough state that I had heard of the shooting but am glad to read his full report. 10mm Glocks seem to be getting quite popular as a backup handgun. I have considered trying one but am getting abit long in the tooth to give up on the guns I have been using for the past 40 years and have faith in.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody buy that man a drink.
And fresh underwear.

M

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote