Find
Notify
Tools

What length Ice Ax.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
. I,ve been invited on a mountain climb down in America in 2010 , and need to get some gear ... What length Ice ax do you use for general mountaineering .. I don,t think there is any verticle ice involved so I don,t think I will need any frozen waterfall axes.....????? Thanks

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that takes me back alot of years, but as i remember it our were about 18". to long and it gets in the way

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
O.K. ,, so here,s what I,ve come up with so far ,, , As a walking stick / cane / rifle rest / Ptarmigan killer / self arrest ect tool 90 cm length is great ,, for really steep going a shorter ax , like 80 cm or 75 cm seems to be preferred..... Don,t need Terradactil picks ect. Just a general Mountaineering ax , like the Black Diamond Raven are fine .......... I may end up with a small fleet of different ones till I find what I like .................. I wish I could find some made by Snow & Neeley , or Peavey Manufacturing , Or Catipillar ,Husquvarna, Atlas Coptco , Stihl,,, Wabco ,. ect.ect. Even Vaughn ,or Estwing or Stanley ........... Thats the problem with mountaineering , too many environmentalist pricks involved in it ......... I wish I could get a mushers hat made from Snow leopard to wear while mountaineering . stir knife stir Cool ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Been a lot of years since I used an ice ax. Did a lot of sheep and goat hunting in my teens and 20's but in later years I've replaced the ice ax with a hikeing staff.

With out digging out my old ax I want to say that it was more like 24" or a little more. I did actully do a self arrest with it one time when I had a goat on my back. Was really glad that I had it then.

I think when you shop for one find one that will touch the floor when you hold the head in your hand and a couple inches longer than that would be better.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Petzel and Black Diamond both make light weight telescoping ice axes that double as a trecking pole. Hard to beat!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote