THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Leaving on the 6th for a Brown Bear Hunt

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving on the 6th for a Brown Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
I'm heading up to Juneau to get on a boat and cruise around Admiralty Island for 12 days looking for brown bear. I booked this hunt almost a year ago after I had to cancel a Buff hunt in Tanzania due to cancer surgery and subsequently 6 months of chemo. At that point the brown bear gained higher priority (although currently a future buff hunt is still looking possible). I'll bring back plenty of photos and hopefully a respectable brown bear.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DennisHP ----- Good luck, my Brown Bear hunt near Cold Bay is still the highlight of my hunting career. The Buff in Tanzania was a very very close second. Who are you going with and what are you shooting. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I'm going with Mike Soufoulis of Alaska Coastal Guiding and will be using my Win Model 70 375H&H with 300gr Swift A-Frames. Thanks for the good luck wish!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP,
I hope you got a clean bill on the Big C. Not something to mess around with. I'm in for some cutting on my head and face soon. All this is from childhood before good sunscreen. I've had 19 removed so far, but they just keep popping up. A real pain. Have a good hunt and live every day like it was your last.

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Dennis, I'll give you a little update.

I picked up my Resident BB tag on Tuesday last week. I registered for Units 1C (mainland) and 4 (Admiralty) Went down to my family's cabing for four days. Did a little Blue Grouse hunting and crabbing. Pretty much snowing down to 500-1,000 ft at night - unseasonably cold [and the ski areas has been closed for 2-weeks!!!]

I was not specifically targeting bears this trip, but any bear poking his nose out of the den would have (should have) gone right back in. We were going to troll along Glass Peninsula on the way back to Juneau, but the weather was too skunky for my 22-footer.

If the weather warms up to normal, I'm thinking May 15 will be prime time. I'm heading back over to Seymour with hopes of seeing one worth putting my tag on. I'm shooting a .375 Taylor with 300 gr Partitions.

No bear sightings that I know of yet. Usually the urban/garbage bears start showing up about now. Look me up while you are in town if you want. I'll PM you my work and home #. My wife's been thru chemo and radiation for breast cancer so I know what you've been thru.

Here's to blue skies, flat water and big bruins!!

beer

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. With 12 days you would think a window would open up so I'm not going to worry yet. My colon cancer metastisized to my liver but was caught real early. I had a second procedure where they went in and literally cooked a couple pencil eraser sized spots and when I get back it's another CT scan for me. I hope to take out my aggression on a brownie. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good luck, be safe, be warm and dry, get a nice one. Wink

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis

Wish you the best toward having a fun safe and enjoyable trip.

Don't let a brownie chew on you either.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote