New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose, Brown Bear, Caribou Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I will be off to Alaska Wednesday spend the night in Anchorage then off to McGrath then back to the Dillinger Drainage. Hunting for 15 days with Tom Shankster. First on the list a big moose, maybe a nice bear and a caribou. Never know a wolf or a big Black Bear may show up also.
Will report as the hunt goes on I hope. They do have Internet at the base camp but I will be at a spike camp most of the time.
Hoping to have the hunt of a life time.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Why would you want internet at basecamp?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will like the Dillinger area, bet it's been very windy over there the past couple days. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be in Anchorage on the 5th for my moose hunt also . Will PM you my number maybe we can meet out for a mug of suds before we fly out.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
labdad
Yes I like the the Dillenger was hunting that and the Jones last year for may Ram. Shot the Ram in the Jones area.
MOA
The internet is my FIX.
when I started hunting 50 years ago we used smoke signals.30 years ago a drive to town to stand in line at a pay phone (during hunting season) 20 years ago started the cell phone called from mountain tops. Now sit in a warm base camp and talk to the chief at home by magic.
After a few weeks in the bush it is nice to hear from the outside world a little.
Well better get back to packing
Oh by the way got an email Tom has been scouting a lake there are at least 10 big bull moose coming to it. He has built me a tree stand, has TV running water and a maid.
See ya in a few
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
To me it's all about being disconnected.

I pulled into our Sambar camp last Friday night and thought "I should call the Red Queen and let her know we made it here alive", but we were out of cell phone coverage.

Turned out 3 days with no coverage was wonderful, I leave Australia and head to Wyoming for Dad's moose hunt on the 1st of October. 2 weeks away from work with no cell phone and no internet, and we have 5 big game tags and 2 weeks to do it.

I think it causes undeeded stress. I chastized one of my co-workers yesterday when we were walking to the post office, he was checking his phone. Even though he just got up from his desk, and our emails are forwarded to our phones.

Disconnect for a while, it feels good.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt Larry, sounds like a good one.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well heading to the airport in about an hour.
I will post a few pictures on my return.
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip and get some shootin. I usually get all three every season, but not always big ones, usually just meat anyway. Life is good when ya call Alaska home.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote