New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti Bear Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well the anit-bear hunting groupies have gathered enough signatures to get the issue to go to ballot.

I think it is time that we all start to write our respective representives and to voice our opinions. The state has had an increase of bear related problems this year and more bears probably isn't going to help much.

How about a petition to keep out-of-state groups out-of-state!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is only one way to keep those folks out of our elections: A few years back we had an election on which we had the chance to vote for an amendment to the Alaska Constitution to close the loophole that allows animal right groups, or anyone else from outside of Alaska, to gather signatures for any of their issues or ballot measures. Well...it seems that most Alaskans voted "NO" to amend the Constitution, so the loophole is still open.

On that election, it is my belief that most Alaskans watched the ads on TV that advised Alaskans "not to change the Constitution." The way the ads were presented to the public was to make Alaskans feel bad about messing with the Constitution, and we bought it, I guess. Of course, those ads were very well financed by animal right groups, while the other side didn't have enough money to inform the public on the subject.

Now more than ever it would be a good idea for all Alaskan hunters, trappers, snow-mobilers, ATV users, etc. to join the Alaska Outdoor Council, since they are always fighting for Alaska hunters, trappers, and outdoors men and women. By the way, I am just a member of the AOC. I have no ties whatsoever to the group, nor am I trying to influence anybody to join them for any monetary gain on my behalf or theirs.

The AOC will have a meeting on January 15th (at 6:00 PM in Anchorage, I think?) to combat the "anti bear baiting initiative." But they will need donations. I am not going to the meeting, but I plan to donate even though I don't bear bait.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep I saw Gal at Fred Myers in Fairbanks who was from Animal rights group.She said baiting for bears was very bad.I asked her how many bears she had seen.She was up from Ny getting people to sign up.I told her she should kiss some baby bears and baby moose their moms would not mind if she did.Anchorage contains alot of Antihunters and over half the population!If hunters dont start banding together in Alaska ,tourist companies and anti hunters will ban all hunting.If you look at the Kenai it use to be greatest place to hunt .Now you can hardly hunt there.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Keep the pressure on. I live in California where the anti's managed to get cougar hunting on the ballot. Not only have we lost the right to hunt cats, we cannot bring a trophy from another state home.

Did I mention that a mountain biker was killed a few days ago by a cat in Southern California! An few hours later the same cat attacked another biker who was saved by her friends. The DFG killed a 150 lb male that night.

When preditors are not hunted, we become part of their food chain.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBoutfishn, I offer a slight correction to your statement: "When preditors are not hunted, we become part of their food chain."

"We" doesn't include me. When it comes to pumas, bears, sharks, and criminals, I'm the predator out there. The only creatures that successfully prey on me are bugs (mosquitos, in particular).

Usually it's the kids and women who become prey to a growing predator population. I'm too big, too bloodthirsty, and too well armed to be prey, and my behavior advertises that fact to the predators (animal and human alike).

And as far as I'm concerned, those cats can keep eating those female joggers. If those people haven't got the good sense to carry a weapon to protect themselves (from cats and criminals), they are behaving like prey.

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately about 35% of hunters are against bear baiting according to some recent poll. I know of several, and despite my best efforts have had a hard time to change their minds. I do not bait bears, but it is a valid and useful management tool, and should not be outlawed. If you are one of those hunters that think it should be illegal, don't come to me when they try to stop you from hunting in the means or methods of your choice.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

As "Mr. T." used to say, "I pity the fools!" My experience is very similar to yours. I do not think that these fellas have a clue, and more is the pity! I am interested in contacting rather the 60 to 70% of those non-hunting, Alaskan "fence sitters"...I have had more sucessful results with them by simply laying the foundation of facts with examples of other areas and relating to Alaska. Certainly the crux of the Anti's message is NO HUNTING!

If there are any "hunters" out there that are sitting the fence and happen to see this post, go to the link provided and see what common sense has to say. This link to the dept. of Fish and Game rebutts each and every point that the anti's are making...in the simplest terms possible.

best,
bhtr
http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/news/bear_bait.pdf

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote