New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dall Sheep Only Caliber?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've signed up with a guide and the hunt will happen in the next couple of years. It is a rough, backpack hunt with lots of climbing. Up to 400 yard shots, so I am told.

I've basically decided on a Kimber (light, off the shelf accurate, crf, something I'll use in the deer woods before and after the hunt). The decision is caliber. (No WSMs or RSAUMs, just have a bias against them. Personal thing.)

To save precious ounces, I'm looking at 7mm-08, 308 and 338 Federal. Any of those stick out for pluses or minuses? I'm leaning away from the 308 just because of the 'too common' side. I know that helps in far off places, but not to me. Barnes triple shock handloads in all, likely the lighter for caliber bullets to maximize range.

Is it worth the 6 oz or so to go to, say, a 25-06?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Also, I will work to get in the best shape possible, but I'm a flatland desk jockey at the moment so there is only so much I can do.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with a .270 and should be on your list for Sheep as well.
I have to admit that none of the cartridges on your list jump out at me as perfect for the job especially the .308 and .338. If I had to pick one from your list I'd say the 7mm-08 loaded with 130 to 140 grain bullets would do it, the 25-06 you mentioned would do well also.
Get in shape and have fun on that Sheep hunt.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:
I've signed up with a guide and the hunt will happen in the next couple of years. It is a rough, backpack hunt with lots of climbing. Up to 400 yard shots, so I am told.

I've basically decided on a Kimber (light, off the shelf accurate, crf, something I'll use in the deer woods before and after the hunt). The decision is caliber. (No WSMs or RSAUMs, just have a bias against them. Personal thing.)

To save precious ounces, I'm looking at 7mm-08, 308 and 338 Federal. Any of those stick out for pluses or minuses? I'm leaning away from the 308 just because of the 'too common' side. I know that helps in far off places, but not to me. Barnes triple shock handloads in all, likely the lighter for caliber bullets to maximize range.

Also, I will work to get in the best shape possible, but I'm a flatland desk jockey at the moment so there is only so much I can do.

7mm-08 would be my choice! beer

Have Fun!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I would really look towards the 270 or a 300 Mag type rifle if I taking shots at 400 yards. Personally I favor a 30 caliber magnum. A few ounces is not going to mater one way or the other. I prefer a std weight rifle over a FW typle as I can make more accurate off-hand shots if need be. The better physical condition you are in will matter!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I thought of some more pertinent information that I did not add in my first post: For a Sheep hunt at least for me a fairly light rifle is a big help as you will carry it far more than shoot it so be weight conscious but no need to be anal about every ounce.
Which ever rifle you pick you need to shoot that rifle a bunch.
Get it dialed in with an accurate load at 100, 200 and 300 yards from a bench to know exactly what you and the rifle are capable of under the best of conditions ( best being sandbags and a bench!).
Then once you have wrung all the bugs out of the rifle and ammo and you and the bench then start shooting that rifle from field positions like laying down resting over a pack for one, shooting from a sitting position for another, do this at every yardage you could ever imagine shooting from.
Try running about 300 yards at a fast clip then setting down on your butt loading your rifle and using your ass, sling, elbows and knees and put 3 shots in 10" at 300 yards and you will be a Sheep hunter for sure!

Which rifle you pick for the hunt matters far less than how you shoot that rifle!
Good hunting.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I think you are making a mistake on eliminating the WSM cartridges. What is wrong with a short action .270? I have a Montana in .300 WSM It shoots great.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses so far, they are very helpful.

I have been leaning toward a 7mm-08 as I would use it quite a bit before and after the hunt as well (varmits, deer, anything prior to the sheep hunt).

As far as the short mags I understand what you are saying but I have an intense dislike for their recoil. It feels, to me at least, very fast, quite hard on my shoulder, and when combined with the additional muzzle blast, I'm just not comfortable shooting one. Put it in a lightweight and it would be worse. It would bother me to the point of distraction, likely no matter what I was hunting. I'll stick to the non-mag calibers and try to get closer if that's what it takes. Call me a whimp if you want, but I have to be comfortable and confident in myself and the rifle or I won't shoot the gun.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I can understand the recoil issue but if you look at my screen name I am not as recoil sensitive as most.

I just purchased a Savage 11FL in 7MM-08 Rem. for my kids to shoot in Namibia next year. It is only 6 lbs and shoots one hole with the practice ammo I loaded for them. They are 9 and 12. I started them out with 120 grain Nosler BT. Next to no recoil. This is a great gun for $435.00. The only reason I tried this gun is because both of my kids are left eye dominate.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would definately go with the 7mm08 in the kimber montana. Great cartridge and super rifle. Those things are so light and handy. You can't beat it for a dedicated sheep rifle. Would work for just about everything else too.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you plan on taking shots over 300 yards, then I would consider a 7mm Rem Mag.

If you are not planning to do so, then the 7mm-08 will be fine. I would certainly consider a .270 Winchester.

Posts: 48 | Location: Parma, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i always thought if i was going on one of those hunts i would want a 260AI or 264win mag. i would think 130 tsx bullets would be great. i don't own either cartridge, but out of my battery i would probably take a 25-06 with some 100 grain barnes bullets.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To bad for the hangup on WSM's, in my opinion the .270 WSM if the best thing you could have in your hands, even the old .270 is excellent. The 7mm-08 is no slouch either, you can't go wrong there. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

SmallCal,

338 Federal? It is hard to believe it made the short list.

7mm-08/308....no difference.

If considering the 25/06, I'd use 120 Nosler partions.

Good luck and start "training"

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the cartridges you mentioned I would pick the 308, but there is nothing wrong with the 7mm08.

If I was hunting sheep I would take my Blaser K 95 Stutzen in 308.
I would pick a load that shot good at 300 and 400 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
7-08, I'm a huge fan of the .308, but when you look at bc's, the 7mm's hold their velocity further out than the 30's do.

120 tsx, 3000 fps, just learn how to shoot it accurately.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I had been in your shoes;

Blaser K95, singel shot rifle, in 6,5x57R + some sleek Zvaro on top.....

Practical, very lightweight, elegant - something to pull out when you're a granddad and tell stories about that 400 yard shot...

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
Sigmund Freud in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing you may want to consider. Is the guide also going to be packing a rifle? If not, there is always the possibility of running into a BIG bear and having to protect yourself.

I shot both of mine with a 30-06 using Nosler 180 gr partitions. Decent bear medicine if needed.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the responses so far, they are very helpful.

I have been leaning toward a 7mm-08 as I would use it quite a bit before and after the hunt as well (varmits, deer, anything prior to the sheep hunt).

As far as the short mags I understand what you are saying but I have an intense dislike for their recoil. It feels, to me at least, very fast, quite hard on my shoulder, and when combined with the additional muzzle blast, I'm just not comfortable shooting one. Put it in a lightweight and it would be worse. It would bother me to the point of distraction, likely no matter what I was hunting. I'll stick to the non-mag calibers and try to get closer if that's what it takes. Call me a whimp if you want, but I have to be comfortable and confident in myself and the rifle or I won't shoot the gun.

I have two 300WSM rifles (Kimber and a Dakota) and I can't tell any difference in their recoil level vs my 30/06 or 7mmRemMag. If you are truly against one of the short mags then I would probably pick the 270 Winchester.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was me I would go with teh 25/06 with the 270 a real close 2nd. I definitly wouldnt cancel a hunt if I had to use a 7-08 or 308 though.

I dont get to hung up on the weight of a rifle (within reason of course), I would cut weight elsewhere.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jim Kobe on his statement with bears in the neighbor hood. The 06 will or is a fine candidate for sheep and bears. "If" bears were not in the picture I would opt for the .25-06 right off.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one has read any O Conner how could one past up the 270 win if one was buying a sheep rifle.

If I was going I guess I would take my 300 wm.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put 338 Federal on the list if the ranges get long.....

But don't focus on your quarry and overlook where you are hunting. What do you want to be holding in bear country?

Happy Hunting,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...338 win mag Kimber Montana. ..375 Ruger Alaskan with an 16 oz synth. stock ..Easy pie 400 yrd cals. and they have a nice effect on problem bears...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are committed to the 84M series than I would go with the 7mm-08. I have one and all up it is at 6#'s 0oz.. You really have to get to know the rifle as it is a bit hard to get it to settle down if you are out of breath. I almost wonder if we are taking this "light mountain rifle" thing too far.
My Kimber Montana in .270 is 7# 4oz all up and it is easier to control out of breath. Yes, I do the running thing at the range. I have taken two Dall Sheep with the .270Win.. One at 385 yards "guide lasered" and the second at 125 yards "same guide lasered". I have had my share of 270WSM's and realized there was nothing I couldn't do with a .270Win. that I needed a 270WSM for. Guess what - no more WSM's.
Some before you decide which Kimber Montana, get to shoulder and hold both models.
Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I'm with 458lott. I shot my Dall with a 300 WSM. I also have the 270 WSM and a 270 Win. If I were selecting a sheep only gun it probably be the 270 WSM. Sheep are not tough, any decent caliber will kill them. It's the performance of the caliber in terms of balistics and trajectory which I think are more important.

If you're a Weatherby fan (I own no Weatherby rifles), I think the 257 Weatherby is perhaps the most perfect sheep rifle out there.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a120:
If I had been in your shoes;

Blaser K95, singel shot rifle, in 6,5x57R + some sleek Zvaro on top.....

Practical, very lightweight, elegant - something to pull out when you're a granddad and tell stories about that 400 yard shot...

Funny thing that - it's the exact rifle I have complete with special order 26" barrel and swaro 6x42.

Exceedingly accurate and under 7lbs weight you had better not be out of breath when you want to shoot as it is even affected by heart beat.

My chamois and mouflon were taken with one shot apiece at 250 and 200yards respectively but it was very very difficult for me even with excellent rests. That was with a 2.2lb trigger. With the 1.5lb spring it might have been easier.

As it is I use it for fun now and next time will take a 26" barreled sako AII in 243 to the mountains.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
On my two Dall sheep hunts I carried a model 700 in 30-06 successfully for sheep and grizzly. I used 165g TSX on the bear and they performed quite well.

I used to have a very light weight model 77 in .243 that I thought would make a great sheep gun if re barreled to .308 win.

I'd think that the Kimber short action will be great, and like I said, .308 in my opinion would work well. I'd be inclined to use the same 165 bullet that I did and get it going as fast an accurate as possible.

I'll be going again in two years and I suspect I'll use the same rifle as I have been.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A LW light recoiling rifle is ideal for extreme
angle shots that are quite often in sheep hunting. A bad scope cut in sheep country is no fun. I use a LW LH 06 used a 257 Ackley as well. If I am alone prefer the 06 with another person the 257.

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have a 25 wssm and love it against domestic sheep out at 400. we have a side deal of cleaning out the exotics from fenced operations pigs wild domestic stock that they cant round up and other side jobs like that. the little 25 wssm is so light I have to check to make sure its in the case cause it feels empty. it just flattens a big ram at 350 with either 100gr tsx or the factory 120 power points. I am using the browning composit stalker but the win is nice too or an ultralite in same cal would work great.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
How 'bout 7x57mm with a 140 grain bullet?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I agree 7x57 or 7-08 would also be good

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 winchester or 30/06
ones heads ones tails
flip your quarter
you win!!!
regards Big Grin

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting in bear country I'd go with something in .30 cal. .300 Winnie would be a good choice with a good 180 Gr. premium bullet, either TSX or I personally like the partition in that weight.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote