New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Trip
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This isn't hunting related but hopefully it will fly and we will get some feed back. I have retired friends who won a fishing trip in Alaska and are going to stay on a week or so after the trip to see a bit of the area. I'm asking for a short gear list for them to take. They will want to fish and the date is roughly mid July. Thanks Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
It's a big state, exactly where are they planning to stay, and what part of the state do they plan to visit? Are they flyfishers, or bait/tackle fishers? Are they going to rent a car and stay at motels/lodges, or rent an rv, or tent camp?

Mid-July will be a bood time for getting King and Red salmon in the rivers, and a bit early for silver salmon in the salt water. Lake fishing will be a bit slower then the spring/fall feeding frenzy, but they should still do well on rainbows, dolly varden, grayling etc.

I'd say a light or medium/light rod with 10# test will serve for lake fishing and the smaller salmon, and a heavy rod with 25-30# mono or 50# braided for king salmon.

For lakes, I find spoons and castmasters seem to outfish spinners, and the 1/4 oz weight casts decently and keeps the smaller fish off your line. For cast masters I like the brass colored ones, and also the ones that are half green and/or half blue. For spoons, I like silver ones that are half red, half green and half blue, and for both castmasters and spoons, those that are painted like rainbow salmon. Also include some snelled #4's with bobbers and split shot, and some salmon eggs and small raw shrimp.

For red's in the streems, 3/8 and 1/2 oz rubber core sinkers and a bunch of Kenai flies in various colors. The flys are available everywhere, so just get them when they are up here.

Kings depend on the area being fish, some are open to bait, some are artificial tackly only. If there fishing bait areas, I'd pick up the tackle and egg clusters up here. Otherwise large pixies and spinners in the #5 size, or 1 oz.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! Where are they going oto be? Makes a huge difference.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12934 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are going to the Upper Gulkana River for the trip. I think they fly there from Anchorage. I think after the trip they were going to rent a vehicle and drive around for a week or so. They were curious as to what type of clothing, boots/shoes, hip waders. They are good hunters and fishermen/lady. They have been in the outdoors all their life. I think they would hike a little and fish from the banks of streams or lakes a little. Thanks a lot. Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
This isn't hunting related but hopefully it will fly and we will get some feed back. I have retired friends who won a fishing trip in Alaska and are going to stay on a week or so after the trip to see a bit of the area. I'm asking for a short gear list for them to take. They will want to fish and the date is roughly mid July. Thanks Chain

Try the Kenai Peninsula in July

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote