Find
Notify
Tools

Ketchikan Black Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
I will be in Ketchikan over Labor Day weekend. I am curious what the chances would be of A) Finding a bear over a short two day hunt, and B) Finding a guide for this.

Our group is staying with a lodge up there, and the owner says, "Don't worry, I'll get you all set up." and moves on to talk about the fishing the rest of the group will be doing.

I'm thinking I might be better off making my own arrangements just in case....

Your thoughts?

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Johnnie Laird, who posts here...

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been meaning to post up here David ...

Mark ... 2 days is pretty quick. I guess it could be done. Many hunters probably take a Bear on thier first or second day of a hunt. You just can't be as selective. But you do have to deal with the hide and that takes time. Also another things to keep in mind is if you fly to the lodge you cannot hunt that day as it is 'same day airborne', type thing.

The Bears will be fishing also. Do some homework about the creeks in the area of you lodge. Figure out a way to get to them and go for it.

To hire a Guide you must first know where your lodge is located (like what part of POW unit 2 or which way out of Ktown unit 1) as Guides can only hunt thier Use Area. You can go here and see who hunts that area .... guide use areas

Not all Guides book all of the time. One might be available.