New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak Blacktail Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son and I just returned from a 8 day fly in hunt. My son dropped a beautiful 4x5 at a lasered 201 yards with his Rem SPS 30-06 shooting Barnes XXX 150 gr. We both shot 3 nice bucks. I think this is the 8th time I hunted Kodiak for Blacktails since 1985 and I mean to tell you the population is the best I have ever seen. We would see mature deer from the minute we left camp till we returned each day. One late afternoon we stopped for a rest and glassed at least 30 different deer on one small hillside. The percentage of bucks to does is good. And there are still a lot of bears out. It was kinda of unnerving to see bear tracks in our tracks but we never had any problems. We make it a point to bone out the deer and carry them back to camp thus avoiding dragging a carcass and creating a huge scent trail. We then hang the meat bags about 20 feet up in a tree. Weather was typical and ranged from 18 degrees and sunny to 18 inches of snow falling in one night to pouring rain to hunting in shirt sleeves. If these deer dont suffer a bad winter there will be a lot of record books animals coming out of here next year. We flew in with Seahawk Air in there Beaver and as always these folks offer absolutely wonderful service. I recommend them highly. Hunting Kodiak blacktails is the most fun hunt I have ever accomplished up here in Alaska. Cheers to all.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

Kudos to you for making a hunt (experience) like that avaliable to your son. It's cool that he killed a great buck (bonus), I'm sure he's still got an ear to ear grin. Soon, I too will be able to enjoy the company of my boys in a hunting camp. Anyway sounds like you had a great hunt, do you have photo's you can post?

Did you go to an area on Seahawk Airs advise? Never been to the "Emerald Isle" just curious, I always head to S.E. for blacktails but Kodiak is in the book for next year.

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went to a place I picked out that we hunted two times previously. This was the third time my son went with me. Next year he starts college and now wifey wants to go! I can email you some photos of the hunt if you like. I havent had the antlers scored yet but I am guessing my best rack will hit 98-100 and my sons best wil hit low 90's. Its a great place to take up and coming hunters because you always see deer and it keeps there interest level up.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Email of your pic's would be great! Would you trust Seahawk for a hunting site, they told me that they like to place hunters in their spots? I've heard nothing but good things about their service.

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Roland aka Seahawk Air is one of the nicest and knowledgeable on the Island but--He's a 1 beaver show and when a couple of day's are lost due to weather the schedule is wrecked. Andrew's Air has a few floatplanes and can usually keep a lot tighter ship. I still use both though!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was conversing with Roland on the flight out he told me the deer hunting was equally good through out the Uganik and Uyak area's. I dont think you could pick a bad spot unless you wanted to stay close to a cabin, lodge, or cannery. Generally the closer you are to these areas the more the deer disperse due to hunting pressure. I would trust SeaHawk to drop me off in a dependable area however do not lose sight of the fact that the area has probably been hunted recently. Even though there are large deer numbers they do diminish with each group of hunters that go through. Please send your email if you wish to see the photos.