THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Kodiak vs Swift A Frames for bears

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak vs Swift A Frames for bears
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this has been covered in the past, but I want the hear what people have to say about these two bullets now (SAF and Kodiak). I have heard both Paul (our Paul H) and Phil Shoemaker (our 458Win) talk about these bullets.., but I want to hear more. I am getting ready to load up some 350 gr and 400 gr bullets for my .416 Wby for a bear hunt this fall and I would like to hear what folks have to say about each bullets....I have killed many animals with the SAF in different rifles, but have never shot the Kodiak bullets..I look forward to hearing what folks have to say.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rwj,
I have used the Kodiak a few times to take both Grizz and moose and both kept on going. Kills were 1 shot but with the large bear I did the best thing and made sure he was done. I reload not just that bullet for my 45-70 but CP 405's and 460 grainers as well, just for more insurance I suppose. I would like to venture too with other calibers like, for my .375 RUM and see how the Kodiak performs as well. Sure works well, thought of the NorthFork also-soon on that one. You will like it in the big bore you are gonna use. I have never retreived one yet. Most other cal. I use the Barnes most all the time. Some swifts in the .375 an the .338 now and again in the .06

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
rwj, as soon as I get camp in order I am loading up some 416 Rigby ammo for my season. This year I plan on starting with Swift A-frames only because I have been using Kodiaks and North forks in the past. Do I expect to see any difference ? NO Maybe if a guy was able to shoot 100 bears with each he MIGHT see a difference -- but I doubt it. There are a few theoretical pros and cons with their designs but in practice they all work superbly on big bears.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Phil and Grizz: That is what I wanted to know...no big surprizes, but your experience is much bettert than me guessing Smiler.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote