Find
Notify
Tools

Another bear attack
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted
Just had our third bear from attack Of the summer.
Was met by troopers and emt at the trail where I take tourists bear viewing on ATVs. They have the trail closed and are transporting the bear attack victim out. More details latter.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Update- The guy was airlifted to Anchorage. He had puncture wounds on his back. The bear was a sow with a cub brown bear. I'm not sure when it happend but responders on the scene told me they were first called at 8:00 AM. I assume the victom called it in by cell phone but I did'nt ask that.
The ranger I talked to told me the location of the mauling. That area has a lot of bear activity and a lot of brush along the trail. It's just the kind of place you would inadvertantly stumble into a bear and surprise it.

It looks like I'm off work for a couple of days. Alaska state parks closed the trail for the next couple of days. I guess I finally have a little time to get caught up on work around the house.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
That's really too bad about the guy who got attacked on the trail glad to hear he is ok.

http://www.adn.com/2012/06/10/...hiker-near-bird.html

Work around the house? With 15-20lb reds in the Klutina by the tens of thousands you must be joking.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not pack a pistol?

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Update- The guy was airlifted to Anchorage. He had puncture wounds on his back. The bear was a sow with a cub brown bear. I'm not sure when it happend but responders on the scene told me they were first called at 8:00 AM. I assume the victom called it in by cell phone but I did'nt ask that.
The ranger I talked to told me the location of the mauling. That area has a lot of bear activity and a lot of brush along the trail. It's just the kind of place you would inadvertantly stumble into a bear and surprise it.

It looks like I'm off work for a couple of days. Alaska state parks closed the trail for the next couple of days. I guess I finally have a little time to get caught up on work around the house.

Are you talking about the Bird Creek Trail? If not one happened there today.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Why not pack a pistol?

He was carring pepper spray said he didn't have time to use it.

A lot of people don't paractice with it or carry it where it is not easy to use or get to it.

Or they don't have the mine set to act when they need to.

Same goes with firearms one has to keep them ready , have the mine set and skill to use them.

What happens a lot people fail to reconize danger and do not react soon enough and lose valuable seconds.

With a properly carried defensive item 1.5 to 2 seconds to deploy.

But if one loses that time in not reconizeing danger and failing to react. One could very well lose the chance.

When dealing with any self defense situation reconizing one is in danger early as possible is a huge step in wining the fight.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Why not pack a pistol?

A lot of people don't paractice with it or carry it where it is not easy to use or get to it.

Same goes with firearms one has to keep them ready , have the mine set and skill to use them.

What happens a lot people fail to reconize danger and do not react soon enough and lose valuable seconds.

But if one loses that time in not reconizeing danger and failing to react. One could very well lose the chance.

When dealing with any self defense situation reconizing one is in danger early as possible is a huge step in wining the fight.

For god's sake, troll. Use spell check if you're going to spew this stuff.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Latter articles show that he had his spray in his pack.

Not a very good idea.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Why not pack a pistol?

For god's sake, troll. Use spell check if you're going to spew this stuff.

Dave any thing not factual in my statements