THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Bear Baiting issue...Say, "Yes to baiting!"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bear Baiting issue...Say, "Yes to baiting!"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would also suggest to all Alaska hunters, trappers, and outdoors enthusiasts to at least inform themselves on issues such as bear baiting, and others that animal right groups from the lower-48 have been trying to stop in Alaska. I have been a member of the AOC for several years now, and they keep me informed on these issues. Not a bad idea to join the AOC as soon as possible, because united is the only way to fight back.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

They were in our Homer/Anchor Point area with petitions very aggressively collecting signatures. When I was asked, I civilly asked for specifics on the issue and why they wanted it stopped. The answers were nothing new, same old same old, but they were certainly getting results. The participants were well dressed, curteous, and were targeting the women and young people in a busy shopping area. The Kenai Peninsula is growing and the population is changing. Times are changing and if we don't keep a watchful eye, we'll certainly be the losers.

Joe

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It didn't take me very long to see what's comming your way in AK.

Although I don't have hounds or have never hunted with them, I feel dogs are also usefull for selective hunting, but alas, I'm in the minority in CA.

How many lion attacks will it take and whos child will have to suffer the consequences before these matters change?

Good luck.
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The AOC (Alaska Outdoor Council) has been around for awhile, and not only hunters and trappers have joined them, but "snow machiners," boaters, etc.

I believe it costs $25.00 per year to join the AOC, but they mail a newsletter a few times a year, as well as E-mail to keep you informed on issues relating to fish, game, fur bearers (trapping), and even things such as Government agencies, boroughs, etc. efforts to close public access to certain areas, from boat landings to trails, right of ways, etc.

If you don't want to join on the Internet, you can always request that a registration form be mailed to you.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org/

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not that they hate bear baiting they hate all hunting. They see this as one chance to do some harm.

All hunters must fight this if they bait or not. We have the same trouble in Wisconsin. The anti's are always trying to get some form of hunting outlaw one year they work on the hounds the next is the bait setters.

There is no dought that if they win on the bait issue they will go after something else. They love nothing better then to get us fighting with each other.

They all most won a couple of times here my devideing us. But cooler heads convinced the other hunters that this is just one more to their tactics.

Fight them every chance youu get.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: I will join immediately. Does AOC have a web page?

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Bill,

We Alaskans have seen these things not only coming but have dealt with them in the past. The biggest part of our problems, in my view, come from outside Alaska. It begins with hunters complaining about fees, discriminatory hunting regulations, the guiding business, etc., ad nauseum.............Alaskans don't seem to have these problems among themselves too often and, when we do, we deal with the issues and take care of each other. If the antis want a fight, they'll get it up here. We view issues a bit differently than the lower forty eight. Why? Because we can. Things are changing in Alaska, but we'll meet the issues head on, not kicking and screaming like they do outside. Just my opinion, just proud to be an Alaskan.

Joe

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote