Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Bullet weight for Alaska
 Login/Join

posted
What bullet weight would you recomend for hunting in Alaska using a 30-06? I know that everyone will say use a bigger gun but being on limited resources, its either buy a bigger gun and stay home, or take the ole 30-06 Win. I will probably only hunt Caribou.
Mike

Let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one Luke 22:36

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Only caribou? Well, that makes it easier.

My first choice is 168 TSX, second would be the 180 TSX.

I have fantastic accuracy with both using H4350.

If you want a better BC, go with a Scirocco in same wt. class or Accubond.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 is just fine for Alaska.

If you don't reload I think that federal premium 180 Partitions would be a good pick.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your gun is big enough and caribou aren't that tough. I would go with a 180 gr Nosler Partition but it might be nice to have a couple of 220 gr Partitions in the bottom of the magazine if you run into bear. $0.02

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I second the Federal load using the 180 Nosler Part or TSX will be outstanding for Alaska....and proably the most popular here.

For caribou the Federal load using the 165 or 180 Nosler Solid Base will be excellent, you don't need a super prem bullet for Interior grizzly or caribou. I use a 308 Win with 165 Sierra gamekings for hunting up on the slope.

Unless you are going after the big costal brown bears the 30-06 is all you need in Alaska.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I think a Partition is a great bullet and I've had excellent accuracy with it in several rifles. But The TSX is IMO far easier to get a good load with.

This, of course, is if you handload. If not, I certainly concur with the Fed factory ammo.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike: As indicated above, your .30-06 will do fine on caribou...and I think that 180gr NPs were made especially for caribou. Caribou are not that tough, but they do need to be shot properly, like everything else.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I would use the standard Federal Nosler Partition load. 165 or 180 would be fine. Caribou are easy to kill, and your not likely to run into a Bear, and if you do, he'll probably be running from you.

The Federal Light Magnums haven't been as accurate for me, though they might work in your gun.

A 30-06 loaded with a 180gr. Nosler is plenty of gun for a Grizzly, a Brown Bear is a different animal altogether and requires more gun.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
If your hunting anything but the bears, I'd go with 180gr bullets - the ones mentioned would be good.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
I use 180gr. for everything in my -06. I've had nothing except alot of dead critters.

Ben

Combat vet by choice...Don't make me have a flashback!
Michael Savage...Fight Liberals! Liberalism is a mental disease!
http://www.homestead.com/prosites-prs/index.html

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! I was kinda thinking the 180 would do the job, but thought that maybe i"d need a 200, but I'll stick to the 180gr.
Mike

Let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one Luke 22:36