Find
Notify
Tools

Powder/primers to AK
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted
I see Cabelas won't ship primers and powder to other than the contiguous states. How do you Alaskans get your powder and primers and what do they typically cost you per pound/1000?

Also, If one is driving through Canada to Alaska from the States, is it best not to take your powder and primers or is it okay to bring it?

TIA,
HuntR

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I go and buy them at the store Big Grin Unless you are off the road system, there are plenty of gun and sporting goods stores that carry componets, and even some pretty obscure stuff.

Powder runs around $20 a pound, some a few bucks less, some a few bucks more. I haven't bought primers in awhile, but as I recall they run about $20-22 per thousand.

I have no idea what if any restrictions there are on carrying powder and primers through Canada. We moved up several years ago, and had a few thousand rounds of ammo, but no powder/primer. Handguns are the real no-no, but I'd confirm about powder/primers befores showing up at the border.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted Hide Post
Sounds like price and availability is about the same as it is here. Thanks, Paul H!

Anyone know what the Canadian restrictions are, if any, on powder and primers en route to Alaska?

one of us
posted Hide Post
HuntR,

I crossed the border at Ste.St.Marie, Mich. last year with firearms, powder, cases, primers, etc., declared them and had no problems. I have 4457 forms for all my guns.
Presented the 4457s and was in and out in minutes....

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted Hide Post
Thank you, ovis, for your reply. There seems to be a wide range of experiences in crossing the border. Had a friend tell me of having to unload everything out of a moving van in the rain so that his truck could be checked. It makes it hard to figure out just what to expect. The Canadian Customs webpage seems vague on several points, powder and primers for nonresidents being one of them.