New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grizzly meat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I didn't want to high jack the caribou thread so I started this one.

When people go to Alaska to hunt Grizzly, besides keeping the hide and skull, what do people usually do with the meat? Is it fit to eat or is it left behind?

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never taken anything but black bear meat, which is usually excellent with interior bears. I have heard of folks eating interior Grizzly meat and I would if I had to. It will not go to waste out there.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the bald eagles feast on the carcasses.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have had some very good interior grizzly meat and some spring brown bear meat - but as a rule the meat from bears that feed on fish is an "acquired" taste

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When people go to Alaska to hunt Grizzly, besides keeping the hide and skull, what do people usually do with the meat? WS

Alaska has very strict meat salvage wanton waste regulations that apply to most big game species but not to brown bears. Other bears,ravens,wolves,wolverines,foxes and other scavengers clean them up.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt that a very hungry wolf would eat a grizzly but In over 30 years of hunting bears I have never seen a wolf eat a grizzly or brown bear carcass - although they are very curious about the kills.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Few people go looking for a nice fat young sow to shoot so typcially, the age, coupled with ragin' male hormomes, coupled with all the infections garnered from fighting scars and wounds, coupled with a diet of "yogurt" salmon carcasses and whatever living and dead flesh they can find just doesn't tend to help your average brown bear trophy to be all that yummy...

You gotta be careful just skinning the things to avoid an infection, can't say swallowing the stuff, even well cooked, is all that palatable.

A bear living in the mountains and feeding on berries and such is another story though.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Bear meat can be a risk for trichinosis if not processsed and preppared properly.

http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us...ns/docs/b2000_18.htm

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
As far as the birds eating brown bear meat one time I had a hunter take a bear on the beach near cape suckeling. I spent the next day fleshing and ear turning etc when the old hunter asked me if I would go retreeve the bears swizzel stick.
First thing the next morning I walked down the beach and counted 27 eagles on the carcus and a bunch of magpies and I don't remember what other birds. The bears basicly was completly gone. Fortunantly I found the peter bone and walked away amazed by what short work those birds made of all that meat.

I'll pass on eating it myself. I might consider it when I run out of moose sheep caribou and everything else but I just don't see that happening any time soon.

I did have a couple brothers in camp one year who talked about eating it. On the last day they anounced that they were going to make breakfast themselves before heading home I should have known something was up.

After breakfast they told me that they cut up small bits of bear meat and mixed it in with the eggs. I have to say I really did'nt even notice but that was a blueberry fed mid fall bear. I've skinned and smelled enough bears killed on salmon streams to know I don't want to have anything to do with eating that.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time my brother and I were hunting Black Bear in the interior of Alaska.

We were in different camps. In his camp a hunter was hunting griz, and did kill a grizzly.

They ate the meat and my brother stated it was very good.

I have also heard that the meat from a bear that is eating fish in NOT good.

I have eaten a lot of Black Bear meat from ones I killed in Montana, Idaho, and Canada.

It was all very good.
It has way less of a "wild" tast than mule deer, and even most whitetail deer. IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had grizzly in the fall, good flavor but took alot of chewing.
i haven't witnessed a wolf chewing on a bear carcass but have found lots of tracks around a half eaten carcass and had a guide last fall get six wolves off one brown bear carcass in eastern alaska. talked with a guide in western ak about 10 years back and he had found six bears that had been killed and eaten by wolves. one situtation was a brownie had killed a moose, the brownie got shot then the wolves moved in and ate the bear but never touched the moose...seemed odd...maybe something to do with comptition..?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think fourtyonesix should HAVE to cook brownbear back straps for all his clients! Smiler

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cooked it for a few... but i tell them they have to pack it out..usually changes their mind. seems like they never die in a nice spot.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
As far as the birds eating brown bear meat one time I had a hunter take a bear on the beach near cape suckeling. I spent the next day fleshing and ear turning etc when the old hunter asked me if I would go retreeve the bears swizzel stick.
First thing the next morning I walked down the beach and counted 27 eagles on the carcus and a bunch of magpies and I don't remember what other birds. The bears basicly was completly gone. Fortunantly I found the peter bone and walked away amazed by what short work those birds made of all that meat.

Maybe in the dark of night when the birds were sleeping, bears or wolves sneaked in there and ate a big chunk of that carcass?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think fourtyonesix should HAVE to cook brownbear back straps for all his clients!

If all salmon eating bears stink half as bad as the two he skinned for us, I'm sure the clients would never quit pukeing.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
quote:
I think fourtyonesix should HAVE to cook brownbear back straps for all his clients!

If all salmon eating bears stink half as bad as the two he skinned for us, I'm sure the clients would never quit pukeing.

I can only imagine! I still think if Jake was a good cook, he could make that edible! Smiler Of course Jake you know I am just kidding! Nasty bear is nasty bear!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do eat each other.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i ve eaten only one Yukon grizzly and some from Europe and some black bears and i had always great time.

but i never ate any "fishy" bears.

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I took a spring grizzly on the Seward Peninsula. I had been told it was not worth eating. But out of curiosity I salvaged the backstraps after skinning. I wish I had saved more meat as it was good. Would have made very good sausage.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Interesting info on bears and includes a discussion of eating grizzly meat on another forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...php/115000-Hopefully

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote