Find
Notify
Tools

Arctic oven
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted
I finally broke down and bought an arctic oven. After years wet, miserable nights in cheap, flimsy WalMart tents I decided to go for something good. Now if only the weather would get worse...

Robin

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's a dog.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Just wait and enjoy the Salmon run

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RobinB:
All I gotta say is "You done real good". I think there's nothing better for the Ak. bush than an Arctic Oven. We took mine on an elk hunt to Afognak in late Oct. Typical weather - wind, rain, snow, sleet. We were warm & cozy for our 10 day trip. We got it so warm inside at night that we just laid on top of our sleeping bags. Wouldn't have to climb into the bags until early in the morning. You've made a good investment that will maintain it's value should you decide to sell it in the future. ENJOY!!!
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whats an artic oven ??

are they available in Australia ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
PC,

It is the nee plus ultra tent for camping in cold and wet areas. http://www.alaskatent.com/products/tents/arctic_oven.htm

I doubt they are available in Australia, nor would I expect you'd find much need for one Wink

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[So you can run a wood stove in these baby's....they would be good in Victorias alps I reckon, how long do they take to set up ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC

Another system you need to consider is here:

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

I'm thinking that the very light weight and bulk may prove to be a benefit to you - for the sort of hunting you anticipate. Have an eight man - absolutely awesome, can bring up the sides for ventilation in warmer weather. Mosquito netting allows bug proof ventilation.

The wood stove system folds completely flat (stovepipe is spring steel roll 8 foot high - folds to nothing) and belts out the heat. There are clothes lines around the top of the tipi - being up in the hot zone, wet clothes dry in minutes. Last year in Northern Alberta we were using the Kifaru out in -30. Inside the tent the temperature was up to +70!!October 06 it will be spending a few weeks in Oz - up in NT after ferals maybe Water Buff. Thats the flexibility the system offers.

I use mine without a floor - walk into the tent THEN take off your soaking wet kit. Ideal :0) Foam bedding mats on sheets of tyvek provide dry space for relaxing and eating.

Take a glance and see if it appeals - do let me know what you think!

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I also like the tipis from Kifaru. It is an ideal system.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
[So you can run a wood stove in these baby's....they would be good in Victorias alps I reckon, how long do they take to set up ??

It takes about 15 min to setup a 10X10-AO, good for 70+mph Kodiak winds beer. A great tent, too heavy for backpacking. Too warm for summer here! Mine gets used the last 2 weeks of moose season & Kodiak-Afognak Nov-Dec?

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
I've used it several times so far this summer and I can't say it was too hot. I got one with a window, so we left it open.

Robin

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's a dog.