New
Find
Notify
Tools

Escape from Fairbanks!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Almost all the campgrounds and hotels are full here.

The school has opened the parking lot for campers for those escaping Fairbanks. The facilitles at the school are not open as of yet. There are public bathrooms along the waterfront and a shower at the harbor master. The laundry on main street near First National Bank of AK also has showers.

There is also a large gravel pit area as you enter town, just past the canyon, look for a stop sign just before a turn-off. Take the road back and two right turns lead back to a large open area. Room for lots of people. Opposite the trail head.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The smoke form the forest fires has finally started clearing today.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave:
Yeah, looks as if it might be clearing up a bit. Wed. night was something else though. The lady I got my dog from had to evacuate her whole team & some other animals. She lives up on Haystack. I missed her on the road but found out later that she had all of her dogs at another musher's place safe & sound. I headed up the Elloitt Hwy. with my chain saw & pickemup to 11 mile to try & help out but got turned back by the Troopers who said that everybody was out. You shoulda seen the sky. A weird red color - kinda like what I'd envision a nuclear winter to be. This is the worst I've ever seen it & I've been here since 1967. The old timers are saying the same thing. In the past, you could actually look at the sun thru the smoke but in this case even it's red ball was blotted out & couldn't be seen.
Anyway, gotta run for now. Happy 4th of July to one & all. Later, Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
All day today has been a beautiful day!

It is so nice to be out of the smoke again.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are things beginning to clear up in Fairbanks? I have to be there at the end of the month.

Thanks,

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Are things beginning to clear up in Fairbanks? I have to be there at the end of the month.

Thanks,

Doug

Nice and clear here today.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote