New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Black Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a buddy who is going to Alaska from late April thru the 1st week of May this spring, primarily for a fishing trip. He's also interested in the possibility of a black bear hunt, probably guided; as his fishing is already set up, is there anyone who has any suggestions on outfitters in the Anchorage area for a short-type bear hunt, or is do-it-yourself an option??

Thanks in advance,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The first week of May might be a little early for the Anchorage area. Just my opinion.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RMiller, thank you; my buddy understands that the time/place may not be optimal for BB, but he wants to know if there are any options/suggestions, guided or unguided, to see if he could "squeeze" in a BB hunt during his time there.
Thank you again for your info,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he could always drop down to the SE and do well that time of year, places like kiwi and the like have huge blacks

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out whittier for bear charters (google search) probably his best bet, but he better hurry as they usually want 2-3 hunters per trip. Some of the charters will pair you with other solo hunters. There are some good guided hunts in Prince William Sound and a search will turn some of these up. I cannot recommend any one guide as I don't personally know them and have never hunted with an outfit in that area.

He can also look at hunting the road system-there are many trails for access-, and I would probably head toward either Valdez area or kenai/seward. Better hurry bear season is almost at hand.

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
places like kiwi and the like have huge blacks

That probably should read 'Kuiu Island.' Smiler

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post
BeeDub-

How the heck is that pronounced? Confused

--Mike

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kuiu (Que-You)

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post
THANKS!! Smiler

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote