Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Laupa for Alaska?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
I just bought a Sako TRG-S 338 Lapua w/ syn stock and chrome moly barrel and reciver. I plan to have abreak and a all weather finish applied.
What do you think about this round for alaska?
What finish would you use?
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Weatherby 338-378 in Alaska alot in the open Tundra and mountains.It is pretty close to the 338 Lapula just a little faster.I love it for long range shots.I use 250 gr partitions at 3150fps.I have a 6.5x20 nikon on one of my accurmart weatherbys and a 5.5x15 power nikon scope on the other one.I love4 theses rifles for everything except heavy timber .I use my 416 rem mag for that.I let a friend shot a caribou at over 400 yards and he got two by accident with one shot.My rifle loves those nosler partitions and shoots .25 inch groups at 100 yards.A flat shooting powerful rifle in alaska is awesome.I do want to try some of the 300 gr serria match kings for caribou for long range.They shoot around 2850fps out of my gun and are very accurate.Its alot of pratice that will help you shoot game alot better.I shoot mostly from a standing bench to help simulate feild conditions.It also helps to shoot from trees and shooting sticks.there wont be a bench rest out in the field.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr B: I agree with dgr416. Your gun sounds like it is made for Alaska. It should function perfectly. I have three Weatherbys and all are blued..and it shows..the two I use the most, a .300 and my .378, are loosing their blueing and I keep thinking about putting some type of all-weather coating in them..something in dull black. But your gun sounds like a thumper that will take care of what Alaska has to offer. I recently shifted to carrying a large Harris bipod on my rifles, which adds considerable weight and they are awkward to carry, but when the shot presents itself, and you plop down on your butt and have good steady rest, at any shooting distance, those Harris bipods are worth their weight in gold.

It sounds like you have an excellent rifle.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're .338 Lapua finished either in a Dura-Coat or a electroless nickel wears pretty darn good. I have two .338 mags and one being a Sako Finnbear, is a handy peice for Alaska, of course with premium bullets at those tremendous velocities you cannot go wrong. By the way I had a fellow in Fairbanks do his "Arctic Coat" and I thinks it is nothing more than the dura-coat on my Finnbear and it is truly a "tough" coating--perfect for wear. The other is a pre-64 mod70 and is fine the way it is.Enjoy.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr B,

I used my TRG-S Lapua for some years as my main elk rifle and can offer you some suggestions. Mine came with the same thin pad as my 25-06 TRG-S...it is NOT suitable for this caliber. I put on a decelerator and have been pleased with it. I don't like muzzle brakes so my barrel is stock, but YMMV. The recoil is tolerable with the proper LOP.

You are spot on about putting a Teflon type finish on it. My two TRG-Ss and my Finnfire are rust magnets.

Get a spare magazine or two for the rifle and learn the feel of a correctly seated one. I loaned the rifle to a bud for an elk hunt and he returned with one, not two mags Mad

I have used 250gr partitions exclusively (with good terminal results), but am thinking of trying Barnes TSXs. After the partitions get beat up from handling and/or recoil the rifle can hang up on feeding. I little smithing should correct this.

I have a Leupold 2.5-8 on it and I think it is perfect for this caliber. I like to mount my scopes as low as possible (for both sighting ease and scabbard use) and with my low mounts I had to rotate the scope 90* counter clockwise for the brass to clear the windage knob on ejection. Not a big deal but caused a little concern at the time.

I really like this round and the rifle. All rifles need a little tuning and the TRG-S is a nice package-good stock, nice weight and very accurate. The Lapua 338 is a great round and very flexible, with Lapua brass being the best in the world (if choosing between Norma and Lapua brass choose Lapua!). I haven't perfected my Lapua yet, as I am afflicted by multiple rifle disease with complications of big-bore itis.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is certainly a nice rifle and a good cartridge, but don't forget your ammo. Your likely to have a hard time finding any .338 Lapua ammunition outside of Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote