THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Sitka man gets killed and eaten by brown bear while deer hunting.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka man gets killed and eaten by brown bear while deer hunting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
.Has anyone seen this story in the news lately. ?

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
found this and several other stories with a google search

A man was killed and partially eaten by a brown bear on an island near the southeast Alaskan city of Sitka, local police and state officials said Monday. His body was discovered over the weekend.

The victim was tentatively identified as 54-year-old Tomas Puerta, who left Sitka for Chichagof Island, west of Juneau, Thursday afternoon and was reported missing after he hadn't returned by Sunday.

The partially consumed body was found later Sunday on the southern part of the heavily forested island after boaters reported an aggressive sow bear with cubs near an unattended skiff, Sitka police said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new...184509#ixzz29rRpm9dL

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last I read he was a forestry worker on the way to work, boat died and he hit the beach. The part i don't understand is that He didn't have a gun. Also they did supposedly kill one of the cubs.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who lives in Sitka and knows quite a bit about the investigation that is on going. Needless to say, what you read in the news and what the whole story is, is skewed at best. So far with the investigation, sadly enough much of the fault lies upon the poor chap not the (aggressive) sow and cubs.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I heard that he killed a deer and was starting to work it up when she got him. . Tomas has a tremendous amount of experience in densely populated brown bear country. However, I have no idea what he had for a gun with him nor much of the details.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote