Find
Notify
Tools

Lance Mackey won ..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
,,,,,,Talk about a tough Alaskan....Lance won the Yukon Quest And the Iditarod this winter.....He is the first person to ever do that...He examplifies the saying Ya gotta be tough to live in Alaska....I was actually rootin for DeeDee but I guess the trail was rougher than a cob....Sorry this isn,t really the forum for it but They are some of the top athletes in the world and there arn,t many things more Alaskan than a Husky...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW WOW clap clap cheers cheers cheers WOW clap clap

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
congratulations--to all involved with the race.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gum:
Yeah, I hear ya about Deedee. I was kinda hoping she'd win again too. All of those guys are tough - know I wouldn't wanna try it. The 1 sled dog I have is handfull enough for me not to mention a whole yard filled with 'em. I gotta admit tho, they're my favorite breed (if you can call it that)of dog. Yes, a hearty congrats to all of 'em - especially the dogs.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Lance ran a helluva race and he deserved the win!! What surprises me though is the way Jeff King and Martin Buser have kinda given up on the Iditarod, saying it's time to pass on the torch. Hell, Susan Butcher never gave up, even when she had cancer. The trail was definetly a bad one this year, not enough fresh stuff and lots of icey, windy, cold conditions. Lance took advantage of it and it paid off in spades!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Breeding dogs is an art. To line them up in a string is another. To understand each character on your part is another. To see them work for you is what you instilled in them-team work. I think Lance deserves the "baton". I was pulling for Lance from the start and he is truly the "best" thus far. Two big races "back to back" how incredible is that?

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
It's an absolutely awesome accomplishment, and really uplifting.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Truly a tough and determined man! A true athlete in my book!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aktoklat:
Truly a tough and determined man! A true athlete in my book!
How about those dogs? They are the true athletes to be able to run 2 1000+ mile races back to back. He just won the Yukon Quest in Feb.

Amazing, Historical

Posts: 6 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 03 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talk about tough, the Yukon Quest then 12 days later the Iditarod, and with 9 of the same dogs, WOW a thousand times. ----- I have always been interested in the Iditarod since 1999 when I took a great Moose in the middle of the Farewell Burn, which the trail goes straight through between Rohn checkpoint and Nikalai checkpoint. We rode horseback down the trail for several miles then hunted 4 miles off. I tried to picture the place in dead winter realizing that hungry Bears and Moose occupy the premises and only see man when the race occurs. The trail was straight as an arrow for some 40 miles across the Burn which was created by a huge fire that scorched 1.5 million acres. I will remember it and the unembercumbered view of Danali and Foraker until the day they put me in the ground. wave thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These folks are great athletes, but what impresses me more is the sportsmanlike attitude they display. They are wonderful examples for us all.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote