New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak brown bear and deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't usually post hunt reports about clients hunts but saw Austin hunters post on his brown bear. Since he was right over the hill from me and my client I figured I'd share a quick post on a similar hunt.
Client from Ohio came up on a deer hunt with a brown bear tag and scored on two bucks, figures we saw around 70-80 deer and ten bears on his trip. On day five we connected on this 9'2" boar at 125 yards with his 300 win mag and 200 grain swift a-frame hand loads two great shots and he was done. Albeit I was a bit bummed I didn't get to fire any backup shots as I was carrying my ruger 416 guide gun that has been severely altered by extreme rifle works in Texas weighs in at 5lb 11oz! Best diet I ever spent money on!!
Here are some photos

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Deer hunt is the way to actually kills bears! Wink

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jake, so on the deer hunt is it extra for a bear or incidental? I know we discussed it but can't remember

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Meant to say on both bear posts, exceptional trophies and big congrats to all.

In my mind a big bear is an exceptional trophy on par with big sheep or a monster king.

Dillingham is sort of "Smallbearville" so the big ones like the 9-10" bears are really neat to me.

Well done fellers!

Posts: 9461 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great adventure. NOW SHOW US PICS OF THE CUSTOM 416 AND TELL US ALL ABOUT IT!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nice bear, nice deer. I would have ground checked either of those deer!

What area were you hunting? South Ugak Bay mgmt area?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Looks like a great adventure. NOW SHOW US PICS OF THE CUSTOM 416 AND TELL US ALL ABOUT IT!

Yea Jake sounds like you got it where you like it!

Great job on the bear and deer,,your a hard working guide!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I heard it, he soaked it in the water for a while and it shrunk! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go on a deer hunt and shoot a bear? Would think the opposite!
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Great bruin and those are some dandy Sitka blacktail bucks! Congrats to hunter and guide.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1843 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congratulations.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Nice everything, there. Wonderful bucks, bear, and perhaps most importantly- weather!

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote