Find
Notify
Tools

Johnson's Pass Pack in Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I just got back from a weekend of glassing mountains on the south end of Johnson's Pass Trail. No bears sited. I didn't expect to get a bear, but I did expect to at least see one. I'm a little suprised I didn't see anything. My friend and I hiked in 5-6 miles and then camped all weekend just in the timber line and glassed all day. We saw two sets of brown bear tracks on the trail on the way in. The first set were bran fresh just out of the parking area and the second set were 1.5-2 miles out, a day old, and HUGE! I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Too tired now. Must sleep!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South end sucks IMO. a long ways to hike to get into the high grounds.

Coming in from the north you break out up high faster.

Only time the south end comes in better is if you have a boat and skip across the lake, knocks out alot of hiking.

Alot of brownies on that trail, more than blackies. blackies are there for sure.

How was the snow?

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
The North end has a lot of snow still on the mountains. I'm sure the trail has quite a bit too. I went to the south end because it was receiving much more sun and melting much faster. Many of the slopes were open to opening up on the south end. Yes it was quite a way in from the south end. A boat would be a great advantage. The lake is open by the road, but the rest is still closed. Snow on the trail wasn't too bad. The way in we postholed some. I had snowshoes and broke them out. By the time we left sunday the trail was melted significantly more and snow shoes weren't needed. At this rate next weekend there won't be snow at all on the south end of the trail. The north end has a lot of snow on the mountians. I would guess the trail would require snowshoes, but I have only driven past it and not seen for myself.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the snow update. Wifey wants to head south to do some glassing and I was curious.

Next week I'm probably gonna do a flyout for bear and I'm hoping there wont be to much snow.

After the snow is gone, you gotta hike the whole trail, its pretty cool.

I woulda thought the lake woulda been pretty much open by now, with the weather we have been having.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Talked to my manager today at Barney's. He was down on the Kenai steely fishing. On the way back sunday he pulled over at the north end of Johnson's Pass Trail to water a pee tree. He looked up on one of the mountains and saw two black bear. He thought they were a boar and a sow. Figures! I may do a little road hunting this weekend and then do another pack in hunt the following weekend if I'm still bearless. Good luck on your hunt. Let me know how it goes.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do a road trip, hit round mtn. across from the kenai ferry access just outside of cooper landing. I usually see some bears on that hill. Nice south facing slope so the snow should be gone.

Theres a very easy access that will bring you through the trees in no time, thanks to the USFS.

A lesson in irony