New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to Sitka from Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm due to be in Sitka on Oct 30th for my first guided mountain goat hunt. The guide is James Phillip. I've been doing a lot of cardio in preparation for mountain climbing. I've been told the goats may be up in the elevation or may be right behind the motel - lol. I've also been told to be prepared for a lot of really cold rain. I'll be bringing a ss .338 with me. My biggest concern is staying dry during the hunt. Any advice is certainly welcome. Thanks

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well good luck on your Goat Hunt!
Your rifle sounds fine if you are shooting it well, Goats can be had at 25 yards to as far as you care to shoot them just depends on the terrain.
As far as staying dry is concerned get used to it you will get wet, remember Gore-Tex is fine for brief downpours or light misty rain but when it pours on you all day like it does in Alaska and the Northwest Gore Tex will fail and the only thing to keep you somewhat dry is real raingear like Helly Hansen or various other brands, light wool under raingear will help as well. Pick your footwear carefully for comfort while climbing and keeping your feet dry.
Once again good luck and have a great Goat Hunt!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Raingear and footwear are more important than your rifle...seriously. Sounds like you took the cardio seriously which is great. Hopefully James has a rangefinder or you will take one for him to use. Many goats are shot over by misjudging distance.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Get very familiar with your rifles bullet drift in high winds.

When my brother shot his Goat it was 223 yards across a saddle with a steady full value 15 to 18 knot wind right to left. His 7MM Rem Mag was just the ticket for that kind of shooting. He knows his rifle very well so we were confident the shot was doable. One shot thru the hart and a 180 yard tumble down the rock slide for the Goat and let the work begin! After photos of course.

Good hunting.

Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
They won't be right behind the hotel.

Given the late date, I'd think about snow too.

Helly Hansen Impertec, lots of fleece layers, and well waxed leather boots. The boots will not dry out, and if allowed to get soaked, they might stretch.

Here's a Sitka Mt Goat hunt scene I've shared here before, and I believe this was earlier than October 30th. Anyhow, it stormed the night I flew in, and this was the result...

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,
Please tell me you didn't hike straight up that mountain for a goat? lol I was kind of hoping for a nice gentle slope like the hills we have here in Austin, TX. I can deal with the cold. Matter of fact it's kind of refreshing after the summers we have here. It's the straight up hike I'm not looking forward to...

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in TX most of the summer and after all of that rain, you should be quite comfortable in it. Smiler

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
Brian,
Please tell me you didn't hike straight up that mountain for a goat? lol I was kind of hoping for a nice gentle slope like the hills we have here in Austin, TX.

That's pretty funny.

I didn't climb up the hill that trip. I called back the air taxi company and went back home. As I was hunting solo, there's no way I was going to hike up in the snow.

However, I have been up there a couple other times. You walk from the tent to the hill, take a big step, and it's all up from there. No flat spots, just places less steep than the rest.

View from the top...

Here's a better view of the type of terrain. The camping spot in the other picture is located at the end of this lake, and the 'trail' goes up to the left.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's some beautiful scenery. Any fish in those ponds? Since my trip will be at the tail end of Oct I doubt I'll see anything like that last pic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluefin,
Layers of clothing is the key. Base, fleece then a waterproof layer.
Dig the smartwool base tops & bottoms. Kinda pricey but don't wear out like plastic. Real soft, easy-dry & won't melt like poly either.

SEAK: That joke about;
"If it ain't raining, just wait ten minutes....it will be then". Smiler

Here in Sitka, nobody laughs at that one. Just how it really is here. coffee

Sounds like your all set cardio-wise.

It's all them muscles used on the side to side shimmys, catchin' yourself as-you-slip type muscles that are the hard ones to build-up for Baranof goatin'.

Stay really hydrated,
ie. drink plenty when thirsty & slow down when you find yourself sweating too much. *
(regulate your sweat & not your water)

note:
*unless there's a billy over the rise ...then suck it up, drive on, & blast him.

.....then drink & rest after in celebration. beer

Good hunting,

Keep us posted on how it goes,

p.e.

Posts: 37 | Location: KODIAK, AK | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote