THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Necessary penetration for coastal brown bears?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Necessary penetration for coastal brown bears?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To kill grizzly and coastal brown bears reasonably quickly when shooting head-on into their thoracic cavities, what penetration in inches or a metric length is required to avoid running into serious "issues"? Does this depth of penetration remain constant for bow hunters' arrows? If firearms and arrows can do the job mentioned but require different penetration depths, which requires more depth? Why?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No expert and can’t give you exact measurements but a good rule of thumb is a pass through would be preferable. Two holes are better than one

Posts: 765 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Though it surely can be done and probably has been, I want no part of shooting an arrow head on into the thoracic cavity of a large brown bear and hoping not to run into serious “issues.”
I’ll take a 458 sized hole from entry through the top of the heart and either out his rear or way back into the nasty stuff please. If I Gould break his pelvis on the trip even better.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Running into serious issue?? Lol well......don’t matter what you shoot them with or what penetration you get. A bear without a heart lung AND liver still has time to tear you a new one. Broken bones or a off switch on the CNS is all that will keep you from possibilities of serious issue.
In inches...every bear is different in size so no number can answer that. But no matter what you gotta ruin his vitals. I’d plan on at least two feet of penetration for an arrow. A bullet four feet. If you absolutely must have a number.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
18 inches !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the best circumstances just enough to destroy the necessary tissue to kill the bear.

On a side brain shot heck 8 inches would work just fine.

Under the worse circumstances 4 feet as Jake says is good.

Arrows use a whole different killing method. And real do not have any bone breaking ability.

Place a sharp broad head through the heart or both lungs dead critter. If you can brain or spine them with a arrow same results.

But counting on a arrow to smash through bone is very iffy.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
18 inches !

Phil I heard the 9mm only gets 17 inches??!!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Next time I'm bringin the 500 Jeffery, not cause it's needed just because I want to. A 570g TSX at 2300 fps should penetrate just fine.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Next time I'm bringin the 500 Jeffery, not cause it's needed just because I want to. A 570g TSX at 2300 fps should penetrate just fine.

on the light side but doable lol ...

Posts: 1794 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Necessary penetration for coastal brown bears?

Wear a condom, the bear will never feel it....

Or to quote from a USNavy UCMJ article: Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I crack myself up...

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil sez 18 inches, if anyone knows. it just has to be Phil, he has shot and been in more bear kills than anyone else that I know of.

.Ive shot enough DG in Africa to believe 18 inches would work on anything under those circumstance short of elephant I suspect wherein I would prefer at least 3 feet of penetration, to cover all circumstances, much prefer 6 feet on elephant, Hippoo and buffalo, In fact a good rule of thumb for me has been a bullet that will penetrate the animal hunted almost from stem to stern.but that's a different scenario than the Poster required. His shot and angle is just to the vitals from a specific angle..My post considers the going south shots after a less than instant killing shot on buff etcf, which is much more likely than an instant kill.

But Im going to be packing a rifle of large caliber in the first place under my present circumstances..I won't be there unless IM hunting or fishing...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote