Find
Notify
Tools

Black bears and fishing near Tok?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
How is the fishing and the black bear hunting near Tok.

My father lives in the Wyoming, and I am an Alaska resident in the Navy living in Italy.

He wants me to come home and drive up to Alaska next summer.

What do you think?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99, I've been bear hunting out of the Tok area for around 10years now and its very good. I always hunt in the spring, but my buddies who live there always get bears in the fall also.

Alot of decent black bears, ours average around the 6 foot mark.

Cant help you on the fishing info.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joel,

If you have nice sized bears, I am sure you probably have some nice fishing.

Bears eat fish, has to be fish to eat, so by proxy????????? Let's hope!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,

I live 50 miles away from Tok since 1978. The best black bear hunting is in the spring by baiting. You can get some black bears in the fall, but that will be mainly in the berry patches up on the sides of the mountains. There are NO salmon up this far in the interior, so the bears are pretty much vegetarians so to speak. The fishing is mainly grayling and pike. Fly fishing for grayling is awesome. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Thanks Northway, I will look into it.

I will probably retire in Alaska in 7 years as I have been a resident of Alaska since 2000. Military!

My father wants to go to Alaska before he get's to old to do anything, so he is thinking this is our chance.

I am skeptical, but I need to look into some propertys, and renew my liscense.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Depends on your definition of "near". In Alaska, if you're on the road system, near is anything you can drive to Big Grin

The Gulkana River has both red and king salmon, and it's about a 3 hour drive from Tok, and Valdez is about 5 hours, and offers all the saltwater species. Also the Copper River for Dipnetting, and that's about a 4 hour trek. By Alaska standards, that's nearby. People will drive 2-3 hours to fish in the evenings after work when the salmon are running.

I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities for lake fishing closer by, but I've been through that part of the state, never had the opportunity to explore it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul is right. A 250 mile drive for us is nothing, so I guess it is how you define "close". Tok is a nice spot and allows you access to other places. Being on the "road" is the only way to live.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote