New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judging Dall's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going on my first sheep hunt for Dall's in August. Are there any tricks to judging how big a Dall is when spotting them? Any tips would be appreciated. I would also like to see pictures of your sheep and what they measured out to be.

Thanks,
Alex

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 892 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
First of all...SPOTTING SCOPE!!! if you can count four to five rings rings from the base before the curl starts going downward the sheep is at least 8 years. However be careful of false annuli rings too, theres a good read on how to judge dalls on the AFD&G website. Broomed on both sides are takers too.

Watch the special at the end of the video" Black Shale White Sheep"...CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going in Aug. as well. Just figured I'd leave that up to the guide. My job is just to get up the mountain! LOL

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Mine's in my avatar, he measured at 38 1/2 inches on both sides and had 14" bases. Will probably never top it unless I get lucky and draw a Tok or DCUA permit.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70,
I've admired the sheep on your avatar. Definitely a beauty!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Thanks, appreciate the compliment bluefin, I killed that ram on my 3rd sheep hunt and 2nd in the Brooks Range. I am assuming that you are going on a guided hunt, if that's true I would let the guide worry about what is legal and what is not. Enjoy the mountains and take it all in, there's no other kind of hunting quite like it.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I have known some guides who have had mistakenly taken sub-legal rams in the past, won't mention any outfitters or names. It is however,difficult, on one occasion some years ago a guide told a client to take a particular ram and the client shot the one next to it, a sub-legal one. Mistakes have happened in the past, the best way is not to get busted and just study them ...for hours if you have too....CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote