THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What questions should i ask the outfitter for a coastal blackbear hunt?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What questions should i ask the outfitter for a coastal blackbear hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on booking a hunt for my wife and i for coastal blackbear. I plan on booking the hunt at the DSC meeting this Jan. I realy have two questions. First what are some good questions to ask the outfitter. I have a general idea, but this is the first big hunt my wife and I will be able to go on. Also, one of the main reasons I am leaning towards booking with the outfitter i have chosen is because no float plains are involved. Do you guys know of many outfitters that dont use floatplains? My wife hates flying and id prefer to be picked up at the dock. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tx308......sent you a PM.

If it can't take it......it can't stay.

Posts: 62 | Location: Longview, Tx | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
http://www.alaskacoastalmarine...black_bear_hunts.htm
I have had excellent trips with Tim at Alaska Coastal Marine. Highly Recommended.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Draw in 2012. Better hurry....

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask about License and Insurnace.

What organizations they are members of.

List of references both successful and unsuccessful.

Check hunt reports. SCI, NAHC, web sites, etc.

success rate and what the avg. size animal is.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, ask if they know the land status. Even though a transporter can't identify game or provide other hunter appurtenances, both hunter and transporter are liable if they hunt lands or tidelands of private lands. Can turn into an extremely costly hunt if the adjacent landowner objects. Both for the hunter and transporter.

I'm not sure what crane's post refers too, but it probably applies to the units in Southeast Alaska. As far as I know, in Southcentral, there's no requirement for a draw to hunt bears there...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
The draw may apply to out of state hunters only. I believe this came about because POW got over hunted? At least that is the rumor I heard.

I'm trying very hard to go in 2011 and will use a Transporter due to my budget. The person I have chosen has definitely done his research and follows the rules.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that. What I have been told is SE including Kuiu(sp)is going to non res draw in 2012. Can someone confirm?

One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
Yes that is true ... the BOG in Ketchikan passed a new law that will take affect on the next draw cycle.

Black Bear in units 1,2 & 3 will be by Draw for the non-guided non-resident hunter.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Muskegex!